LIDL - this week

So, I got carried away at LIDL when I went in to pick up a 150mm digital
vernier for £9.99, and also came back with :-
a 20 piece tap and die set
and a
19 piece cobalt coated HSS drill bit set
The cheap vernier has a clear display sensibly larger and easier to read
than my more expensive Rolson vernier purchased a few years ago.
Whilst initially a bit rough on the slide, it checks out against my various
gauge blocks as well as the Rolson.
But, what can I expect from the tap & die set, and the drill bit set?
One use per item and then useful storage cases or something a bit better?
Reply to
Malcolm Stewart
I see Aldi are selling pop-up cat beds:
Ideal for storing your cats before converting them to fur hats
Regards, Tony
Reply to
Tony Jeffree
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 00:50:25 +0100, "Malcolm Stewart" wrote, in impeccable English,..
You are me and I claim my five pounds :) - I did just that today
I'd bought them the last time I saw them a coupla years ago
Glad to hear you say that. I resisted the urge to get another 2 - a number of folk on the Taig tools Yahoo site have mounted the essential bits as a digital readout on nearly every slide.
Worst I've had is snagging the shank of a 6mm in a cheap keyless chuck in a cheap (£7.47) corded drill. Shanks are soft, as they should be, but that was my fault. Treat 'em as jobbing drills to save you using your expensive kit.
Reply to
Ray
I have a Sealey tap and die set. It is okay, but that is about as far as I would go. The taps do break more easily than good quality ones that I've purchased individually. I don't know how Sealey and Lidl compare, but they're both cheapish. Using a decent lubricant with your taps and dies will prolong their life. I like Global "Kutamatic" paste.
Chris
Reply to
Christopher Tidy
I bought a chaep tap & die set in Aldi a while ago (M3,4,5,6). I think I paid £1.99, it was on offer as they only had a few left. In Halfords the other day I saw the same set, with a different name on, for 19.99. So you don't always get what you pay for.
Regards Kevin
PS only used it a few times, but to my surprise it seems OK
Reply to
Kevin Steele
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:43:02 +0100, Ray wrote, in impeccable English,..
So visiting Aldi today on an unrelated mission I found identical digital caliper for £8.99! Cheaper than any Ebay seller when you've paid their postage. So I got my other two for my Peatol lathe.
They have a data output terminal socket (very tiny) and not described at all in the Lidl version. This looks promising for making CAD drawings of an existing part, with other possibilities too. In fact there are two sockets, one unnamed in the blurb. Anyone know where to get a cable?
Reply to
Ray
[shameless plug] You know that?:
Nick
Reply to
Nick Müller
I bought three of the Aldi ones recently, thanks for the plug may take it up!
Adrian
Reply to
Adrian Hodgson
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 23:02:36 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de (Nick Müller) wrote, in impeccable English,..
Many thanks Nick. That is ve-e-ery interestink. I had no idea that it existed. Just the job for the Taig, Unimat or even my Super Adept. I must improve my soldering skills and read more.
Reply to
Ray
You had me scratching my head. What on earth was LIDL ? I thought it was some sort of model or tool show, but couldn't work out the acronym. Have never seen one.
Fortunately I don't need any more taps and dies made from mild steel, or welding clamps made from cheese !
However, while on the subject of cheapo stuff I picked up a laser angle finder from Maplin recently. The laser tube is mounted on a graduated angle plate and can be swung through 90 degrees. The laser light is a line which you can change the orientation of by rotating the lens, or change to a spot by taking the lens off. It came with batteries for =A33-99, so cheap batteries, free laser.
I haven't the faintest idea what to do with it - but couldn'r resist. I have never had a laser (except in my CD player).
The label says the laser power is < 1 MW - quite a lot less I suspect, as the batteries are holding up OK.
Steve
Reply to
Steve
On 24 Aug 2006 09:44:32 -0700, "Steve" wrote, in impeccable English,..
Yeah but their cheese comes in useful for eating. There's a mature cheddar sold in a black pack which I'm rather fond of. The missus finds browsing the continental biccie-type stuff quite absorbing in these German shops and their prices for veg are competitive. I've bought quite a lot of their non-food offers over the years and haven't been disappointed, so I go back for a look. Some items go very quickly as the offer is dated. Tap and die set is crap, but aimed at metric sizes commonly found in your car or bike, perhaps more to clean an existing thread more than create a new one.
Reply to
Ray
You had me scratching my head. What on earth was LIDL ? I thought it was some sort of model or tool show, but couldn't work out the acronym. Have never seen one.
Fortunately I don't need any more taps and dies made from mild steel, or welding clamps made from cheese !
However, while on the subject of cheapo stuff I picked up a laser angle finder from Maplin recently. The laser tube is mounted on a graduated angle plate and can be swung through 90 degrees. The laser light is a line which you can change the orientation of by rotating the lens, or change to a spot by taking the lens off. It came with batteries for £3-99, so cheap batteries, free laser.
I haven't the faintest idea what to do with it - but couldn'r resist. I have never had a laser (except in my CD player).
The label says the laser power is < 1 MW - quite a lot less I suspect, as the batteries are holding up OK.
Steve
Yikes - a Megawatt ! - probably a typo for
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Less than a megawatt
Doesn't say how much less than a megawatt
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
How have you suddenly become Steve when you were Andrew Mawson?
Reply to
Alan Holmes
Kinda suspected everyone would work that one out for themselves !
One day there must be a legal case where someone has used the small 'm' instead of the big 'M', for millions and got his shares bought for tenths of a cent instead of millions of dollars.
That will stop the financial idiots from running rough-shod over the international standards.
I wonder if Maplin do a laser of > 1 MW ?
Steve
Reply to
Steve
You had me scratching my head. What on earth was LIDL ? I thought it was some sort of model or tool show, but couldn't work out the acronym. Have never seen one.
I'm still scratching my head... won't somebody tell me what LIDL means !!
GL
Reply to
GL
Supermarket that sometimes has good offers on mechanical bits :)
Reply to
Lester Caine
Its a shop.
Regards, Tony
Reply to
Tony Jeffree
Instead of scratching your head and getting splinters in your fingers
Just type in LIDL into Google and all is revealed.
There is also another UK store called ALDI who incidentally has submersible pumps in on Thursday [ 31st ] for twenty quid, ideal for a suds pump -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
John Stevenson
You've not heard of LIDL, my goodness, you haven't lived, I expect someone else will tell you but its' a cheap, quick move around store, sells mainly food and drink, but occassionaly has some real bargains, but one has to be a bit careful, cos sometimes it is rubbish!
It's a german owned company, which sells a lot of german produce, but it is cheap.
Alan
Reply to
Alan Holmes