looking for a drill

I am looking for a drill like a Fobco 7/8.

For drilling 4" holes with a hole saw into stainless steel I need a minimum speed of 80 RPM or less.

I need to drill these into the ends of control boxes, some of which are a meter high, so the drill has to be Floor standing. It also need a throat of about 200mm

For other jobs I need to mount a tilting vice or a mill vice on the table, so a table with T slots is needed.

With a drill of this size a table lift mechanism will be standard, the lock collar and short rack used by the fobco seems less than ideal, but I have found it O.K. in the past.

There is a nice Elliot drill on E-Bay, but it's being re advertised for a third time as there have been no bidders at £ 550, which is a bit over my budget, especially as it will cost a fair sum to get it transported from Worcestershire to Surrey.

If anyone knows of a suitable drill going cheap please let me know.

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

The Elliott Progress 3A is about as good as it gets, and they do go cheaply if you hang around engineering shops that are having clearouts, but you do need to be lucky!

We got ours for £100 including a Ward 2A capstan in the deal...

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes