Manufacturing our own spectacles?

John S wrote:

How do they stand up to flying bits of metal? When I worked in chemical manufacturing the H&S gestapo made us wear proper safety glasses, but I could never see owt through them, so I was more at risk from tripping over my feet with the safety specs on than I ever was from getting debris past my street glasses. Mind you, according to the data sheets, the safety specs would be great if your employer was in the habit of firing ball bearings at you. Well, so long as he only aimed at your eyes.
I collect my swanky S&B Model A from Peterborough on Saturday. With such a posh bit of kit I couldn't possibly wear other than haute couture designer glasses frames.
Alan

This sounds about right.
I've seen the plastic blanks where I get glasses, they're very large disks.
It's interesting how hard it is to get real glass lenses these days. My optometrist is badass and sells them if you ask without any bullshit about why you don't want them. They were only $10 more than plastic.
Every other place says they're "illegal", "obsolete", or "cost too much". They're all full of shit.
On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:50:19 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

Must be difficult to see through them then ;-)
Regards, Tony
On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:50:19 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

I dropped my glass Zeni bifocals over the weekend. Landed face down on a piece of steel plate, and the grind line for one bifocal split all the way across. Still usable, still snug in the frame. Plastic wouldnt have done that.
Gunner
"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Plastic would not have cracked, or offered you a clear high quality optics that don't yellow or scratch?
Wearing a cracked lense sounds likes a bad idea. If something hit it again, you're getting already broken glass to the face.
On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 21:14:58 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

Both. <G>

Ayup..these are going to be replaced. Most of the time I can get along fine without glasses I can pass the DMV reading tests without them,..but..sigh..as I get old..my arms are getting shorter....
These were actually screw ups..when I had the tester do his thing, I thought we had properly speced the close up lens grind, but the far side is almost good enough to read the speedometer on the truck, and the close up is only good for about 14" from my nose. When I get the money to go back to the eye tester, Ill have a better idea of where to go on vision ranges.
Zenni will get the new perscription. Probably 1 pairs of single vision, ' and 1 bifocal, modified for proper close up, And bigger lenses. The ones I have are pretty small and the bifocal grind line is right smack in the middle of the crosshairs/peepsight when I get a good stock weld.
Gunner
"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Last set of glasses I got I religiously filled in the form on the web sight entered SK11 9DL.for the prescription
They rang me back a couple of hours later to query it as the prescription was the post code for Jodrell Bank
John S

Obviously, you have long 'site' 71 miles to Long Eaton
( Shhhhhhh! He's been watching a repeat of 'A Grand Day Out'
Norm -being re-spectacle
On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 14:24:36 -0800 (PST), John S

I used to have an account at Jodrell Bank, but the charges were astronomical.
Regards, Tony

Mine witters on: "No, they're not 'Plastic'! They're 'Resin' ". Ooh! Ooh! I'm so lucky! I've got Resin, not cheap crappy plastic! No wonder they cost so much! It must be to cover all the money they spend coming up with spin like that! Nope, I'm going to try http://www.zennioptical.com/cart/home.php next time. The only problem is that an eye test doesn't give you the intra ocular distance and in Boots, at least, they refused to give me it even when I asked nicely. Pressed the Ophthalmologist said that her "employer had the right to protect their business". I thanked her for her honesty. How do you measure intra ocular distance? I think it has to be done for viewing at a particular distance as the pupils get closer as the viewed object gets close.
Scrim

If I remember rightly, they don't get that finnicky. Should be possible to measure it closely enough with a pair of dividers & a mirror.
Regards, Tony
bob wrote: (...)

Best way is just to send a pair of your backup specs to: http://www.39dollarglasses.com/product_info/use_your_own_frame.html?id=oa8tT89N
They measure the intra ocular from your old lenses and can even put new lenses into your existing frames.
I just put an order in for my third pair from these people. I am just another Happy Customer.
--Winston

Speaking of glasses, I just sent my son to get a pair for himself, and I ran into some strange things on my insurance. Since he's diabetic and needed the eye exam by an ophthalmologist, the exam was fully covered by my health insurance. If it had been an optometrist, he would have been covered only for $100 of the exam.
Then he wanted to go cheap on the lenses and frames, and he was looking at Costco, Lens Crafters, etc. I have double vision insurance (that's two policies, not one policy for double-vision <g>), and he'd be covered for lenses up to $30 and frames up to $40 at those places by my primary insurer, and an extra $100 for both by my secondary.
BUT...if he goes to a private-practice optician, he gets unlimited coverage on the lenses, including every kind of coating, photochromic, polycarbonate, etc., plus a $220 allowance for frames.
The primary, vision-only policy with VSP costs me about $30/month and it covers my whole family. We all get the same deal my son got. Insurance can be very strange.
-- Ed Huntress

Either:- 1) Look into the distance while your significant other measures it with your best pair of calipers. 2) Look at your nose in the mirror from a bit under a foot, measure for yourself, then add about 3mm/1/8" (which is about what gets taken off for reading glasses).
Mark Rand RTFM

My significant other is getting NOWHERE near my eyeballs with a pair of steel caliper points, thank you.

Ouch! I can't bend enough to get my nose under my foot.
-- Ed Huntress

Pedant ;-)
Somewhat less than a foot...
Mark Rand (Currently negotiating with the boss to get a paid for set of monitor distance glasses and another set of safety glasses for site use) RTFM

I thought that was a lizard ?
John S.
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 14:30:17 -0800 (PST), John S

He's more of a snake than a lizard if the truth be told...
Mark Rand RTFM

Zenni has instructions for measuring this yourself. Last time I went for an eye examination I asked the optometrist to put the PD on the prescription. I was paying him, so he did so (in fact went further and gave me prescriptions for far and computer glasses with different PDs for each), but he grumbled a bit (he also sells eyeglasses).

sounds like a guns store.
anyway, there is "resin" which is the cr-39 stuff. it's very clear, and doesn't yellow like polycarbonate. The optical quality usually exceeds that of polycarbonate.
if you have a strong prescription, both are crap. You'll notice any camera that costs more than $10 has glass optics.

I'm not sure if this applies to other states (it may be a federal thing) , but at least here in IL, you have to get a signed copy of your prescription.
Most places won't give it unless you ask. If you ask and they say no, just don't pay. It's pretty simple. If you pay for an eye exam you better get the results.
Any other argument is as stupid as a dr. not letting you know your weight or blood pressure from an exam because they need to protect their business. It's just bullshit.