Manufacturing our own spectacles?

The safety glass frames seem to be 70 quid though...

Apparently I now need safety glasses and hi--vis jackets to visit power stations to do IT work, even though we didn't need them when I was building and commissioning the same stations :-|

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Dear brother metalworker, you are simply getting fleeced.

But them from

for $19.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

No. A member of my family has just had to shell out £240 to Boots for a pair of vari-focals.

Reply to
Derek

You have misinterpreted the start of a technical discussion to investigate possibilities as though it were a definite commitment.

Reply to
Derek

I refer you to my other post re £240 cost.

Reply to
Derek

The rumors abound that FDR was actually assasinated by a Nazi assassin, a shot to the head.

Couldnt have happened to a nicer guy.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

This sounds about right.

I've seen the plastic blanks where I get glasses, they're very large disks.

It's interesting how hard it is to get real glass lenses these days. My optometrist is badass and sells them if you ask without any bullshit about why you don't want them. They were only $10 more than plastic.

Every other place says they're "illegal", "obsolete", or "cost too much". They're all full of shit.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

My bifocals cost around £80 - 90 per pair and that is before frames and non-glare coating etc.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

That is what it sounded like.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

May well be true for simple lenses, i.e., mono-focals that don't have a cylindrical component to correct for astigmatism, but I would have thought that the potential combinations of lens power and cylindrical component power would make for a rather large number of stock lenses - particularly so when you add bifocals to the mix. Can't see how they could reasonably do other than modify the optical surface for those.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Must be difficult to see through them then ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

How do they stand up to flying bits of metal? When I worked in chemical manufacturing the H&S gestapo made us wear proper safety glasses, but I could never see owt through them, so I was more at risk from tripping over my feet with the safety specs on than I ever was from getting debris past my street glasses. Mind you, according to the data sheets, the safety specs would be great if your employer was in the habit of firing ball bearings at you. Well, so long as he only aimed at your eyes.

I collect my swanky S&B Model A from Peterborough on Saturday. With such a posh bit of kit I couldn't possibly wear other than haute couture designer glasses frames.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Ibbetson

cylindrical

lenses -

Doesn't work for my monoccular varifocals either - always annoys me that I have to pay for both lenses ! But for obvious reasons I've always had plastic lenses since they've been available

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You might find this interesting:

"Saul Griffith's vision may help millions of people see better.

The Media Lab graduate student has invented a machine to make low-cost prescription eyeglass lenses for people in the developing world who can't afford them now.

The portable device, about the size of a snare drum, has a programmable mold that forms an acrylic lens in the exact shape prescribed by an optometrist."

Reply to
cs_posting

I use varifocals with cylindrical (astigmatic) correction, I always have to wait a few days for them so I assume they're literally made to order rather than using a stock lens.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Have you looked at the numerous online spectacle services? Varifocals are dearer than single focus lenses but there is absolutely no need to pay £240. Glasses are normally posted in a few days and are made in UK with a huge choice of frames.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I dropped my glass Zeni bifocals over the weekend. Landed face down on a piece of steel plate, and the grind line for one bifocal split all the way across. Still usable, still snug in the frame. Plastic wouldnt have done that.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

absolutely

Bob,

I've not found any online sources of plastic varifocals with astigmatism correction and reactolight features - do you know of one? My last pair cost a packet from Boots and it's really time for a new prescription - I'd just love to have the eye test then walk out with the prescription !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Plastic would not have cracked, or offered you a clear high quality optics that don't yellow or scratch?

Wearing a cracked lense sounds likes a bad idea. If something hit it again, you're getting already broken glass to the face.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Both.

Ayup..these are going to be replaced. Most of the time I can get along fine without glasses I can pass the DMV reading tests without them,..but..sigh..as I get old..my arms are getting shorter....

These were actually screw ups..when I had the tester do his thing, I thought we had properly speced the close up lens grind, but the far side is almost good enough to read the speedometer on the truck, and the close up is only good for about 14" from my nose. When I get the money to go back to the eye tester, Ill have a better idea of where to go on vision ranges.

Zenni will get the new perscription. Probably 1 pairs of single vision, ' and 1 bifocal, modified for proper close up, And bigger lenses. The ones I have are pretty small and the bifocal grind line is right smack in the middle of the crosshairs/peepsight when I get a good stock weld.