Manufacturing our own spectacles?

Last set of glasses I got I religiously filled in the form on the web sight entered SK11 9DL.for the prescription

They rang me back a couple of hours later to query it as the prescription was the post code for Jodrell Bank

John S

Reply to
John S

Obviously, you have long 'site' 71 miles to Long Eaton

( Shhhhhhh! He's been watching a repeat of 'A Grand Day Out'

Norm -being re-spectacle

Reply to
ravensworth2674

I used to have an account at Jodrell Bank, but the charges were astronomical.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Mine witters on: "No, they're not 'Plastic'! They're 'Resin' ". Ooh! Ooh! I'm so lucky! I've got Resin, not cheap crappy plastic! No wonder they cost so much! It must be to cover all the money they spend coming up with spin like that! Nope, I'm going to try

next time. The only problem is that an eye test doesn't give you the intra ocular distance and in Boots, at least, they refused to give me it even when I asked nicely. Pressed the Ophthalmologist said that her "employer had the right to protect their business". I thanked her for her honesty. How do you measure intra ocular distance? I think it has to be done for viewing at a particular distance as the pupils get closer as the viewed object gets close.

Scrim

Reply to
bob

If I remember rightly, they don't get that finnicky. Should be possible to measure it closely enough with a pair of dividers & a mirror.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

bob wrote: (...)

Best way is just to send a pair of your backup specs to:

They measure the intra ocular from your old lenses and can even put new lenses into your existing frames.

I just put an order in for my third pair from these people. I am just another Happy Customer.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Either:-

1) Look into the distance while your significant other measures it with your best pair of calipers. 2) Look at your nose in the mirror from a bit under a foot, measure for yourself, then add about 3mm/1/8" (which is about what gets taken off for reading glasses).

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Speaking of glasses, I just sent my son to get a pair for himself, and I ran into some strange things on my insurance. Since he's diabetic and needed the eye exam by an ophthalmologist, the exam was fully covered by my health insurance. If it had been an optometrist, he would have been covered only for $100 of the exam.

Then he wanted to go cheap on the lenses and frames, and he was looking at Costco, Lens Crafters, etc. I have double vision insurance (that's two policies, not one policy for double-vision ), and he'd be covered for lenses up to $30 and frames up to $40 at those places by my primary insurer, and an extra $100 for both by my secondary.

BUT...if he goes to a private-practice optician, he gets unlimited coverage on the lenses, including every kind of coating, photochromic, polycarbonate, etc., plus a $220 allowance for frames.

The primary, vision-only policy with VSP costs me about $30/month and it covers my whole family. We all get the same deal my son got. Insurance can be very strange.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Zenni has instructions for measuring this yourself. Last time I went for an eye examination I asked the optometrist to put the PD on the prescription. I was paying him, so he did so (in fact went further and gave me prescriptions for far and computer glasses with different PDs for each), but he grumbled a bit (he also sells eyeglasses).

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

My significant other is getting NOWHERE near my eyeballs with a pair of steel caliper points, thank you.

Ouch! I can't bend enough to get my nose under my foot.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

sounds like a guns store.

anyway, there is "resin" which is the cr-39 stuff. it's very clear, and doesn't yellow like polycarbonate. The optical quality usually exceeds that of polycarbonate.

if you have a strong prescription, both are crap. You'll notice any camera that costs more than $10 has glass optics.

I'm not sure if this applies to other states (it may be a federal thing) , but at least here in IL, you have to get a signed copy of your prescription.

Most places won't give it unless you ask. If you ask and they say no, just don't pay. It's pretty simple. If you pay for an eye exam you better get the results.

Any other argument is as stupid as a dr. not letting you know your weight or blood pressure from an exam because they need to protect their business. It's just bullshit.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Pedant ;-)

Somewhat less than a foot...

Mark Rand (Currently negotiating with the boss to get a paid for set of monitor distance glasses and another set of safety glasses for site use) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I thought that was a lizard ?

John S.

Reply to
John S

He's more of a snake than a lizard if the truth be told...

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Er indoors has a complex astigmatism correction and has had plastic light sensitive lenses from

for some years and is very happy with them.

A trick I also found useful is to add a few diopters to your normal reading prescription to get a pair of prescription magnifying glasses

- ideal for detailed work.

Reply to
Peter Parry

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 16:24:29 -0000, the infamous "bob" scrawled the following:

I last had mine checked at the Optometric Center of the local Costco. they had a setup not unlike a stereo slide viewer. The optician's assistant could read both the pupillary height and separation by adjusting the knobs while I looked at the pic at the end of the stick. It was roughly 18 to 24" long.

-- Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life. --Jesse Lee Bennett

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In article , Cydrome Leader writes

Actually, some very expensive camera lenses have moulded plastic aspherical lens elements hidden away in their depths - useful for reducing spherical aberration. Your point is generally valid though.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

I have at least one wide-angle zoom that's alleged to have a magic plastic element in it somewhere. I'm not sure how crazy it's shaped or what it's really made of. I've not hear of them yellowing/cracking doing weird stuff like that, so it must be a decent material.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader