Measure once, cut twice

I've made a new set of anti-backlash leadscrew nuts for the Beaver milling machine table.

A fixed nut and an adjustable anti-backlash nut.

The fixed nut is 2" long and 1 5/8" diameter . It has a 1" 5tpi ACME thread for the leadscrew and a 1 3/8" 20tpi thread for the adjusting nut.

I machined the bores, cut the threads to fit the leadscrew and adjusting nut all at one setting, verified the fits to be as near perfect as I could get and then mounted it on a mandrel to trim the OD to the required 1 5/8" diameter to be a snug fit in the housing.

Take 100 thou off the diameter, measure 1.724. Take 101 thou of the diameter to reach final size...

Oh Schidt. I now have 1.623" and a sloppy fit where it should be a snug fit.

Time to start again...

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

If it's solid bronze maybe you could just coat it with hard solder.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

What about a knurling it........ Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Reduce the diameter some more, say 60 or 70 thou and shrink on a bronze sleeve. Turn down to correct size.

John H

Reply to
John H

What was you expecting ?1.724 - 101 =3D 1.623

Dumkoff.

John S.

Reply to
John S

The Hardinge seems to take off pretty well exactly what I tell it to, but it isn't very good at pointing out my arithmetic mistakes before the cut. :-(

I'm going to make another nut because bushing this one isn't practical (it's cast iron and I don't want to loose too much meat off it). Loctite isn't preferred, because I _might_ want to take it apart again.

I can use the undersized one to lap out the variation in the leadscrew threads, 3-4 thou worst case. Once I've mapped them out.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand