Milling machine

I am looking to purchase a Milling machine in the new Year

Sub £1000 . I cannot fit a bridgeport and the likes into my 8 x 10 shed has any body any recomendations out of the Warco range. I have a small Clark CMD10 but i would not buy another clark . Happy new year to you all Ivan :

-- ivan

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ivanp's Profile:

this thread:

ivanp

View this thread:

Hi Ivan, I'd stay away from any round column mill/drill type machine due to difficulty of re-registration when lifting the head. Instead look for a moveable knee machine (a la bridgeport).

This depends on the work you do but bear in mind once the head is set inplace and the job started you only have the quill travel to accomodate all tooling changes eg 6mm end mill in a collet to 1/2" twist drill in a jacobs

34 chuck- Ok maybe an extreme example but illustrates my point.

I'm very happy with my Myford VMC - no longer supplier by Myford but Warco do one. New price of £1450 will bust your budget however. Maybe look at private second hand ones eg bereavement sales, local ME clubs etc. How about a sniff round on Chris Heapy 's private ads site? possibly consider a 'wanted ad' on there.

You do get a lot more machine for your money buying secondhand.

Good Luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I bought a Warco Mill/Drill which is appears to be the same as the Chester, Clarke, Axminster... mainly because I couldn't accomodate a Bridgeport (An immaculate example went locally including DRO on 3-Axes for £400), which is a lot less than I paid for the Warco.

Its just a normal procurement decision, find out what the problems are and pick where you want your trouble!

Regards

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Bridgeport (An

Buy a bigger shed and get the Bridgeport - you won't regret it !!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Bigger shed means bigger house bigger plot a mega bucks solution!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

message

Steve,

Give in now - you know you'll have to do it eventually

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Tanks Bob I was after a Myforb VMB but i cannot find one at a reasonable price Myford want about 1750 when they have them I will look at the VMC , I only want to purchase once. regards Iva

-- ivan

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ivanp's Profile:

this thread:

ivanp

Watch out for Myford mills - they'll sell you a "metric" one, but it'll have imperial threads, even though the hand wheel will be marked in metric! Result - when you think your advancing by 2.5 mm, you're actually going 2.54mm!

Your first project on your brand-new mill is hence ruined!

Then they'll make a big fuss about changing it. (The poor public relations of Myford alluded to by A.N.Other)

Then they'll change it, but you'll find that although you've now got metric threads on X and Y, you're still stuck with imperial threads on Z 'cos that's all that's available. (But they don't tell you about that, despite the fuss you've had to make to get this far)

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Adapt the shed for the bits that stick out, and use trap doors for adjustments.... 8-))

Joules

Reply to
Joules

My old mentor has that taped.

He has a brick outbuilding dropped inbetween the house and garden wall. Its about 10feet long but tapers in width from about 8ft to probably 6ft, which is half full of lathe. He was explaining that to turn a taper on a 12ft propshaft (for the prop) he had to open the door and set up a steady in the garden. When it came to cutting a keyway using the vertical slide he had to open the shed window and the kitchen window....

Steve

Reply to
Steve