Model Locomotive Wheels

Hi,

Are there any standards in use for the design of wheel profiles for model locomotives in the UK?

Here in France the C.A.V. used to publish recommendations which were advised if the club's insurance was to be valid. However they are now recommending the use of European Standard NEDG 311 which was published in 1991.

I have not seen anythiing in ME about this and the published drawings for the SIMPLEX I'm building don't conform so I am having to modify them.

Apparently this standard and one for rails arose following a meeting held in Guildford in 1988. Does anyone know anything of this?

Regards, Russell.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt

See: The Model Engineer's Handbook - Third Edition by Tubal Cain Published by Nexus Special Interests Pages 13.15, 13.16 and 13.17 Obtainable from Chronos:

The same information is available on the Sutton Model Engineering Club's web site:

Charles

Reply to
Charles

Most standards, and it appears that this includes those on the Sutton MEC site, seem to presume that all models are models of standard gauge prototypes. At least they make no mention of narrow gauge. There are possible problems. For example a 5" gauge (2" scale) 'Dholpur' (Indian State Railways 2' 6" gauge 2-8-4 saddle tank) is as big or bigger (and therefore heavier) than many 7 1/4" gauge models but is to be run on 5" gauge track. If wheel profiles do not match the standards of the track there is real risk of track damage to ground level cross-overs and turn-outs.

Reply to
Mike H

Sorry Russell - I should have given you the full address on the Sutton club site:

I now realise the the pull down menus do not work with all browsers

Charles

Reply to
Charles

Yes, although Tubal Cain describes the various information given as "standards" it should to be read in the light of his comment in the last paragraph of his note on page 13.15. The Seven and a Quarter Gauge Society information, for instance, is at variance with that of Tubal Cain for the same gauge. The Society also refer to their information as being "Guidelines" and "Recommendations". So it may appear that whichever source one goes to for information it is not written in stone (or steel :-)

Russell did say that he is building "Simplex" so one would guess that it will be a 5" model.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

Thanks for the info. I had Tubal Cane's excellent book on the shelf but didn't think to look at it for wheel standards. Doh!

However his figures conflict with those in the European standard. If an accident occurs and an insurance company is involved they could perhaps refuse to pay up if the model does not comply with European standards which have been in force for over fifteen years. Perhaps it is worth consulting your insurers. In France the CAV used to recommend their own figures but now recommend using the European standard for insurance purposes.

The drawings for SIMPLEX and I suspect many other models fail to comply with either.

Incidentally the CAV also recommend the fitting of a fusible plug at the top of the firebox, again warning that the insurance may be invalid if this is not done.

Regards, Russell.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt