Motor Reversing Help

I need to reverse the direction of a motor (single phase) connections for which are shown here. Picture 1:

2:
The question is what do I change over? Thanks

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

On the basis that they feed the start windings I reckon you remove the copper strips and swap them over. Not seen that type of motor connection before but if you read Tubal Cain's "Model Engineer's Handbook" and an ML7 manual you can work it out.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

I was trying to work it out from the advice given in 'Motors in the Home Workshop' but it didn't help much. However, looking at the photograph again I wonder if this has been reversed previously. The red wire with the yellow 'Z1' tag is connected to Z2. Perhaps these need to be reversed as well?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Hi Peter,

Don't know if these are standard for all motors, but I noticed yours is labelled the same. In an old Brook motors leaflet I have it says, for single phase split phase and capacitor start motors A1 and A2 connected to supply A1 and Z1 are linked on split phase motors but on capacitor start motors a condenser is connected between these terminals. Reversal (the bit we're interested in!) Exchange position of two wires from starting winding connected to Z1 and Z2

Good luck

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Thanks for the help Guys, got it sorted this morning. It had been reversed sometime in the past and swapping the Z1 & Z2 start windings back to their original positions now has it running clockwise again.

It's not from the Myford, but looking in the Myford manual (good tip Charles btw) page 17 lists the different terminal connection designations for quite a few old British motors like this Brook.

Interestingly A1 & Z1 are linked and A1 is linked to A3 by the copper strip marked Low. A4 & Z2 are linked, and A4 & A2 are linked with the copper strip marked High. There is a capacitor on it too, although I'm not sure which terminals this is connected across. And I can't hear the telltale click of a centrifugal switch when powering down.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

You need to reverse the connections to the start winding which is at present connected to supply live and supply neutral via the two copper links.

Using picture two. Rotate high link anticlockwise to adjacent terminal at present used by low link.

Rotate low link anti clockwise to terminal vacated by high link.

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid