Myford Closing Sale

I have just learned with great sadness that Myford has ceased trading. Assessors are looking at the company to see what can be recovered, but for now you may wish to know that there is to be a closing down sale at the company?s premises on Saturday from 09:00 to 17:00 and on Sunday from 10:00 until 16:00. There will undoubtedly be real bargains to be had.

We can only hope that something will arise from the ashes.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

That's a crying shame, but inevitable in a time of financial stringency and consumer trends that place low price over high quality. The miracle is that the company has survived as long as it has.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

--Was there any hint of trouble before this happened? I'm a happy customer and I hate to think I'll never be able to step up to the larger lathe some day..

Reply to
steamer

Also of interest is the fact that Mr John Moore snr died on Saturday. Myfords also registered 4 new companies at Companies House last week.

John S.

Reply to
John S

Other lists/fora claim that it is is a "reorganization", not a closure, and the premises are presently in the hands of the reorganizers.

Also mentioned is a plan to have a machine and spares selloff soon. Whether this is a clear-to-the-walls sale or just a stock reduction remains to be seen.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

John, recently there was a thread in rec.crafts.metalworking asking about scale Merlin engine models. I remember discussing how to index and cut the hunting reduction gear tooth ratios with a Canadian modeller some years ago. Do you know of any?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

According to the Myford website, the sell off is this weekend.

Reply to
Mark

In article , Mark writes

Very frustrating that no details of sale items are available to view on the website, never mind available to buy. Those of us who can't get there are being ignored...

Perhaps some more imaginative marketing would have helped make the company more financially viable. I do hope though that something is resurrected.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Since John is closer (literally and figuratively) to Myfords than most of us, Do you think it's worth turning up?

I could do with some bits before it's too late, but I have bad memories of the Triumph Meriden sale, where I went around looking at lots and bawling my eyes out :-(

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

. Those of us who can't get there are being ignored...

????????? Which begs the question why do they have to bother for someone who isn't going ?

I was gutted when they closed the South Bend factory and never sent me a plane ticket just to go and have a look round.

John S.

Reply to
John S

And Triumph Hinckley is so much better, my 595 never leaked oil...

Reply to
SimonH

There's this new thing called the internet. People can see pictures of things for sale, they can even buy them and pay for them - without ever going to the sale.

More customers, more money.

But that's probably too modern for Myford's.

-- Peter F

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

In article , John S writes

That's daft; an on-line sale is just as good for business as an over-the-counter one. There are several things I would have been interested in buying.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

If their liquidation is for financial reasons they have a legal obligation not to spend a penny more than is absolutely necessary to dispose of their assets. So why should they spend time and money on a web page when they know they can sell all their products with little effort?

Having said that, the closure has been extraordinarily soon after the death of this Mr. Moore, whoever he was. It implies that he had personally kept the company afloat with his own funds. Can anybody shed light on this?

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

That assumes that there is someone being paid to post the information, and then handle shipping? I suspect we are at the point where those are expenses that can't be covered and people will be expected to simply take things away? If there is anything left to sell that is ...

Reply to
Lester Caine