Myford Steady Casting Q

I was thinking of making a travelling steady for my ML7 (the new part from Myford or 2nd hand on ebay are a bit too rich for me) - I have 2 options:

either make a steady from thick (20mm) aluminium plate - like this one :-

or buy a casting from college engineering - like this one:-

I wonder if you good folk have any comments on either route - or an alternative idea.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Buy one of the travelling steadies for the ARC range of lathes - they are £19-95p. Machine a parallel bar to bring it up to the desired height. (Crucial that you buy a steady that is slightly too small for your lathe!)

All the difficult work of manufacturing the adjustable slides is then done for you.

Let me know how you get on, because I bought one for this very purpose at the Bristol exhibition, but have been otherwise engaged since then!

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

I made the college engineering one some many years back and it has been a very solid attachment.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall

I would have thought for a tenner you would be hard pressed going any other way unless you fell over a piece of material for free.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Or even something like this?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Lots of money bags here. My travelling steady is an old piece of holly bolted to the saddle.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Do you have to water it?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

No, the leaves get in the way if I do that.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Sound like a good option - can you tell me a distributor? I can't find any reference to ARC lathes on the internet.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Your Newsblock program has failed you once again.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Sorry - been away, couldn't reply sooner.

Try..... ARC Euro Trade (0116) - 2695693 Tel (0116) - 2605805 FAX

snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

It is good of you to apologise for coming back but it would be better just to stay away.

So, what was it this time? A short sentence, a long bender, or was your ISP suspended............

Reply to
Nimrod