Need to get some large grinding done in the south of England

I am in the middle of re-building a large old Wadkin planer/thicknesser and can pretty much do everything myself (even managed to get the main rollers which are 28" x 3" onto the HLV-BK
for truing and re-cutting the serrations). However I would really like to get the 2 surfacing and the thicknessing tables re-ground. They are not in bad condition i.e. no nasty dings but they are worn -- the infeed surface table rolls off by about 0.3 mm and the thicknessing table is hollow in the centre by about the same amount. I have been asking around for some time but cannot find anyone with big enough surface grinding machines to cope. The surfacing tables are about 30" x 20" and the thicknessing table is about 48" x 16" they both have registration surfaces on the underside which are parallel to the top surface so mounting them up shouldnt be to difficult -- see attached pics. My workshop is in North London but I can get the tables into the back of my old Volvo estate or hire a van to take them to be machined -- obviously I would prefer not to travel much more than say 150 miles each way and I dont need toolroom accuracy grinding but it would be a real shame not to get this done after all the other work I have done and I sure as hell cant afford a new machine that approaches the quality and solidity of the Wadkin. So if anyone can help me with some addresses of grinding shops that could do the work I would be very much obliged.
TIA Nigel

Ask around 'real' engine reconditioning shops - not the ones which just do car engines. My local one has a grinder which would almost certainly do those, but they're not in the sarf.
Tim
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 22:29:16 +0000, Tim Leech
Tim -- so you are still alive and well-- after you emailed me saying that I could purchase the motorised head for the Ward T&C I have not been able to get hold of you (email doesnt seem to get through). By the way I have done quite a lot of work on the Ward; I made new leadscrews for the table and workhead, fitted new replacements for the DU bearings etc.
Back to the grinding issue:- being down sarf aint absolutely necessary as it occurred to me that even if a suitable shop was way "oop north" i.e. beyond a reasonable car journey then perhaps I could strap the tables to a pallet for the journeys, obviously I would far rather actually be there whilst it was being done but if it comes to itgetting it done is what matters
Nigel

Nigel - I have been having trouble with missing emails off & on over a couple of years. Just when I reach the point of deciding that I really *must* change ISP, it all seems to be perfect again. I do know that 6 emails with attached pics didn't survive the journey last week :-( Email me off list if you still want to pursue that one.

Give Micro Precision Engineering a call if you think it might be worth it, at least you'll find out whether they can do it:-
http://www.smilelocal.com/search.php?search-type=who&search=micro&where=Cheshire&x%8&yP
Tim
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:02:22 +0000, Tim Leech
Just to let you know I have just emailed you about the Ward part.
Nigel

Nigel, Up in Northern Rock company there is a firm in Gateshead- tween the A1 and A19 which has a bloody big Lumsden. They did a couple of Myford beds for 35 a time for me. They are Allan Liddle(Steel)Ltd on 0191-4952550 or sales@allan-liddle- steel.co.uk
Failing summat from the saarrf, give the Geordie lads a try
Cheers
Norm
U bearings etc.

Nigel,
    At the risk of boring the 'old hands' who have heard this before, a couple of years ago I had the slideways of an Elliot Omnimill reground by Brian Caddy (07775 683363) in Nuneaton, near Coventry. He did a superb job at a reasonable price. He has 30 years experience and has just set up on his own. Highly recommended. --
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:11:26 +0000, Chris Edwards
Tanks for that Steve I just received a recomendation for Brian from someone else -- so tahat settles that I shall ring him tomorrow.
Thanks again Nigel

Nigel wrote:

You might consider getting them planed as an alternative to grinding. It is claimed that the textured surface results in less friction between work and table.
--
Charles Lamont

Many years ago I had the tables of a Robinson 24x9" over & under ground by a firm in Slough.
I'm afraid I can't remember their name but there's lots of engineering on the trading estate.
Yell.co.uk brings up: Slough Grinding Services 851, Plymouth Rd,Trading Estate, Slough, Berkshire SL1 4LP Tel: 01753 696989
Bob

OK well I have arranged to take them up to Brian Caddy -- he estimates 150 for the lot EXCELLENT, I did get a price of another firm in Birmingham of about 400 which would also have been acceptable and just goes to prove that the 1750 that Scott and Sargeant wanted to charge is totally outrageous.
Any how thanks to everyone for the input.
Nigel wrote:

Can you report back on how it goes?
BugBear
Nigel wrote:

If you can get down to Poole I can recommend Malcolm Palmer at Palmers Precision Grinding in Upton Nr Poole.
I think his large Chevalier Grinder could manage those.
Tel: 01202 631023
Wayne....