OT: Bargain at PC World shock horror probe

Yes - its true - occasionally you can find a bargain at PC World.

Needed a network card for one of the kids' PCs, so I popped into PC world to take a look. PCI 10/100 networkign cards start at around a tenner a pop; Cat 5 cables at around a tenner upwards. I also wanted a cheap network switch - starting price around 30 squid.

Happened to spot a Belkin box labelled "SOHO Networking Kit"; two PCI

10/100 cards, two cables, and a 5-port 10/100 switch, PSU, driver software etc, all bundled up nice. The price? £9.99. Had to check with one of the sales staff to make sure it wasn't a mistake...but sure enough, 5 mins later, I walked out with the kit & a penny change from a No. 2 sized drinking voucher.

Worth looking out for if you fancy networking a couple of PCs together on the cheap - actually, worth looking out for if all you want is a networking card & a cable!

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

That's a decent deal by any standards!

Always the same, get all cabled up and sorted out and then this sort of deal comes along.....:-))

probably the impact of wireless networking has made Cat5 equipment drop in price now, the switch alone would have been over 30 quid a year or so ago!

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Could be - but the thing that amazed me was that they were selling the exact same 5-port switch a little further along the shelf for 30 quid! Makes NO sense to me whatsoever - especially as I am used to paying over the odds whenever I go in there, compared with mail order prices.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Thanks for the tip, I just picked up every one they had at my local PC World Thats cheaper than I can buy them trade.

Regards Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Pearson

I think this was a "computer error"! Christmas time I'm sure these things were £39.99 a pop. After all, £9.99 is cheaper than the £13.99 "bargain" USB cables they sell, which look suspiciously like the ones that sell for £1.99 elsewhere.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I'm sure you're right Steve - so if you need some of this stuff, get in there before they correct the mistake!

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Thank you. I was passing PCW at Leicester this afternoon, so I popped in. At first sight it seemed a one-off pricing error: the network cards were 9.99 each. No 5 port kits. Then I spotted "Office Networking Kit" - 8 ports with 4 cards & cables for 19.99. Just got it home and measured up the cables - 8 fingertip to nose 'yards'. Makers of angle grinders, etc, please copy.

I recently paid 5 quid for 7m at a computer fair and the miserable bugger wouldn't give me a VAT receipt so I've lost nothing even if the RealTek chip is as crummy as the writer of the (provided) FreeBSD driver says.

It's been a good week, bought a pair of DECT 'phones and bases for

9.99 a throw at Tescos on Wednesday. :)

Regards,

David P.

Reply to