OT - Who is Mr Morse?

Who is the Morse taper named after (invented by?). I'm sure I have seen some discussion on this within the last couple (5?) years, but I can't get a result on Google. It certainly wasn't Samuel Morse (Morse code et al), must have been around the time of Whitworth, Naysmith, Bramah etc., and been a mechanical engineer.

Reply to
Mike D

Peter

Peter A Forbes

You must be seriously crap at Googling then because the insertion of "morse taper inventor" into the requisite box came up with this in about a millisecond.

Dave Baker

What an appallingly written advertisement for a major company's expertise. A quite horrible set of semi-colons, full stops and commas just after the photograph, far too many redundant commas later on and then the final paragraph has the word 'inventories' capitalised and the last sentence commencing with 'and'.

They might make jolly good machine tapers but they can't type for f*ck.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Stephen A Morse.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

But where is the Patent? Is Wikipedia correct?

Originally. MT was a simple 1/4" in 10" but isn't now..

Can you imagine anyone in their right senses using obscure fractions as they presently exist?

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Sorry, Dave, seriously crap I maybe, but I asked "who", not "what"

Reply to
Mike D

Don't think so, nor is it

Mike D

Reply to
Mike D

Naysmith,

Don't worry Mike, Dave is just having a grumpy day having grazed his knuckles torquing down head bolts

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Ok, Steven A Morse it is, then, but why is Mr Morse' taper so universally accepted? 1/4" in 10" is great, but it's not like that ...

Reply to
Mike D

Coz if you use another taper for your tools, they won't fit into the machines and if you use another taper for your machines, your MT tools won't fit them!

It's a bit like "why do most of the world's computers run Windoze?"

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Well maybe if you actually try reading the article ....

Reply to
Dave Baker

Doesn't that method make it easier to set up your lathe to make a Morse taper? Otherwise, you're playing with angles.

Reply to
Jordan

I could tell you but you seem to have credibility issues with me.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Actually when you're torquing down head bolts there's usually nothing in the way to graze your knuckles against. On the other hand when you're walking along quite normally with your knuckles dragging on the ground you can lose a fair amount of skin. :)

Reply to
Dave Baker

'On the other hand?????'. Just how many is one supposed to have? Does one get barked knuckles climbing trees? Torque to me.

Oops

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

I believe that S.A.Morse was a "Stone Cutter", who as we all know control everything.

MH

Reply to
max

I am 'endeavouring' to work that out. He had a Lewis upon further 'Inspection'. SMIB?

Reply to
ravensworth2674

A mason.

Reply to
Dave Baker

I thought Mr.Morse was originally Mrs Morse's little boy and in al

likely hood the husband of a different Mrs Morse. :D

Alla

-- Allan Waterfal

this thread:

Allan Waterfall