other newsgroups

I have an elderly pal who has worked as a mechanical engineer all his life. He has bought a computer, and I thought it would be good for him to look the newsgroups. I've shown him this one, but are there any others he might like? He's into lathes and presses and welding and stuff like that. He still has his workshop (for the time being) and to me it is an amazing place full of big machines and cleverness.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Bill, He could try uk.rec.model.engineering. Lots of guys into machining on there. I post occasionally when there is a motor drive question.

Rob.

Reply to
news.plus.net

I daresay there are any number of relevant newsgroups, so why not show him how to use the search function and let him choose for himself.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Tell him tp try rec.crafts.metalworking. Though there is a lot of political stuff these days there is still metalworking going on there too. Eric

Reply to
etpm

wrote

Not much, and some of the most plonkable are metalworkers who occasionally contribute something of value.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

sci.engr.joining.welding is a nice group...

Reply to
steamer

That's true and it's too bad. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Thanks guys. I've passed this on.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

There`s these two forums.You need to register to post and they`re moderated but a lot of interesting stuff in them and they could do with more Brits.

Mark.

Reply to
mark

In article , Bill Wright writes

There are quite a lot of machine-specific Yahoo groups he could subscribe to. These can be a bit irritating in that they are "owned" by someone, but you can get the posts sent direct to your computer as e-mails, and reply likewise.

The ME forum is also worth looking at:

can't remember now whether or not you have to be a subscriber to join in the discussions - but again, MEW at least is well worth any ME's money.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

but a lot of interesting stuff in them and they could do with more Brits.

Thanks for that.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Your friend might find something of interest on these (web based & moderated) groups.

Bill

Reply to
Bill