other newsgroups

I have an elderly pal who has worked as a mechanical engineer all his life. He has bought a computer, and I thought it would be good for him
to look the newsgroups. I've shown him this one, but are there any others he might like? He's into lathes and presses and welding and stuff like that. He still has his workshop (for the time being) and to me it is an amazing place full of big machines and cleverness.
Bill
On 18/03/2012 03:38, Bill Wright wrote:

Bill, He could try uk.rec.model.engineering. Lots of guys into machining on there. I post occasionally when there is a motor drive question.
Rob.
I daresay there are any number of relevant newsgroups, so why not show him how to use the search function and let him choose for himself.
Cliff Coggin.

Tell him tp try rec.crafts.metalworking. Though there is a lot of political stuff these days there is still metalworking going on there too. Eric

Not much, and some of the most plonkable are metalworkers who occasionally contribute something of value.
jsw
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 12:32:09 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

That's true and it's too bad. Eric
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Thanks guys. I've passed this on.
Bill
    sci.engr.joining.welding is a nice group...
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
On Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:38:49 AM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:

There`s these two forums.You need to register to post and they`re moderated but a lot of interesting stuff in them and they could do with more Brits.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net / www.practicalmachinist.com
Mark.
snipped-for-privacy@ems-fife.co.uk wrote:

Thanks for that.
Bill

There are quite a lot of machine-specific Yahoo groups he could subscribe to. These can be a bit irritating in that they are "owned" by someone, but you can get the posts sent direct to your computer as e-mails, and reply likewise.
The ME forum is also worth looking at: http://www.model-engineer.co.uk / I can't remember now whether or not you have to be a subscriber to join in the discussions - but again, MEW at least is well worth any ME's money.
David
--
David Littlewood

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 03:38:49 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

Your friend might find something of interest on these (web based & moderated) groups.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com http://madmodder.net
Bill
--
Email address is a Spam trap.