Parting with the rear tool post

Nick Mueller wrote:

There's always a little play in the spindle bearings as you still wants the spindle to be able to turn. Even the tiniest amount of play matters.
--
Venlig hilsen/Best regards
Erik Olsen
Erik Olsen wrote:

I'm certain, that my spindle bearings have 0.000 mm play. They are preloaded.
Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
<http://www.yadro.de>

Cliff
As someone who has fitted a rear toolpost, mostly used for parting off, I can confidently say they are worth the effort. I fitted a long T slotted cross slide mainly so I could fit a rear toolpost and it has been worth every penny.
On my elderly lathe, before I fitted the rear toolpost I often broke parting off tools and I had to reduce speed to part off successfully.
Since fitting a rear toolpost I can part off at the same speed as I am using to turn a part and 'touch wood' I haven't broken a parting off tool in years. The theory is right, dig ins reduced dramatically, parting off is easier..
John