CVA Rear Tool Post

I would like a rear tool post for my CVA. The parts book illustrates one but does not give enough detail. Has any one out there got one to spare??!!. Failing that any drawings or photties that would help me make one. There appears to be a double wedge arrangement for altering the tool height.

Reply to
Anzaniste

I have a rear toolpost on mine, but there's nothing fancy about it. I've no idea whether it's original. I'll gladly send a pic if you wish.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Yes please Tim, the bit that interests me is the way the bottom end is attached /located on the dovetail on the rear of the cross slide.

Reply to
Anzaniste

As well as the tool height adjustment.

Reply to
Anzaniste

That's the bit which isn't fancy. Just old-fashioned packing.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

In message , Tim Leech writes

Hi Tim / Andy

I have been thinking of making one for my CVA too to carry a parting off tool, if you have any details I would be most interested - thanks

Ian

Reply to
Ian Cockshull

I'll try to get a pic up tonight. I promise you, it's not exciting

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Ta Tim. You'd be amazed what exicites me. Andy

Reply to
Anzaniste

Prepare to be amazed

TheTeenut which sits in the base block projects above the tee slot, and the toopost itself has a shallow slot which locates on this projecting part, giving two index postions. The third face of the toolpost has to run parallel with the lathe bed, so must be for holding boring bars.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Tim , thanks, Ooooer, I am suitably amazed. I t certainly does not look like the one in the CVA book. Does it really rely on the flexing of the block to grip on the cross slide dovetail>. Andy

Reply to
Anzaniste

The little toolpost also fits the compound. Any chance of some good photos of your TT attachment. I might have a go at making one...

Reply to
integerspin

So you have one the same? If so it must be a CVA original.

Try

These were done while I had it stripped down for maintenance.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Yes. Amazing, isn't it

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

The Monarch 10EE attachment is made to the same design. Look at:-

where there are some drawings. Quite a major project to make one of those from scratch!

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Thanks for the info, I now need to scrounge around in the lumps of steel department for the basis of the plot. Presumably the thing bears on the cross slide base rather than the dove tail protrusion, if you see what I mean. I also presume that the dovetail is a pretty close sliding fit to start with?

I must say my CVA is an absolute pleasure to operate. The only really odd feature is the M.J.Mouse method of removing backlash on the cross slide screw, still it does work but I can't help but feel that it accelerates wear. thanks again, Andy

Reply to
Anzaniste

Yes and yes.

Agree there, one of mine is really beyond the point where adjustment does anything, time for a new nut is approaching when I've nothing better to do. Having said that, I use the other CVA much more now that it has a single phase inverter drive. Magic.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Please stop talking them up - it won't help me find one at a reasonable price will it.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Hi

I have a new rear toolpost on my CVA that you can come and measur ,before I put it up for sale with the lathe. I am in Rutland Regards Dic

-- rjelli

----------------------------------------------------------------------- rjellis's Profile:

this thread:

rjellis

Dick

If your selling your CVA please tell me when and how - I'm looking for one

Thanks

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Charles

Charles, I have meeting of Toolaholics Anonymous coming up if you are ready to 'come out' and admit your addiction. We are a self help group meeting and discussing not only the problem afflicting ourselves but also how we affect our families and freinds.

AWEM (with tongue firmly in cheek)

Reply to
Andrew Mawson