Protective finish for Chess Pieces

I'm sorry if this isn't the right group for me to ask this question but it looked like it, so I hope no one minds!

I bought some chess pieces in Greece many years ago and they seem to be made of brass though they could be made of an alloy, I suppose. They are reasonably heavy.

Anyway, at the time I bought them, they were coated to prevent dis-colouration but, over the years they have slowly discoloured. I can clean them with various, off-the-shelf cleaners but can anyone suggest the best way to re-coat them after cleaning.

I said "brass" but the pieces were of two different colours, originally, (as they should be) and I have no real idea what the materials are.

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Vanini

Rustins do a lacquer for protecting non ferrous metals

Jason

Reply to
jasonballamy

Also M&P do a whole range of lacquers, coloured or otherwise.

0356 012515 is a pale gold coloured lacquer. If in doubt you probably want clear. No connection but I have used their lacquer in the past with success.

It's quite difficult to apply uniformly. You need to clean the pieces and keep them free of fingerprints (wear glovers), then warm to a comfortably warm temperature (about 100 degrees F), then I take a wad of cotton wool soaked in the lacquer and wrapped in a piece of lint free cloth and rub over the surface. You make only _one_ application i.e. don't go back over parts which you have done already.

For cylindrical objects you really need a turntable; an old record player does fine.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain

Thanks for your replies. I'll see what I can get. It'll be nice to be able to tell the brass-coloured ones from the silver-coloured ones again!

At the moment, each player thinks they're winning because they each belive they've got more pieces than the other fella!

Thanks again,

John.

Reply to
John Vanini