Qualters and Smith

A couple of weeks ago I was fortunate enough to be able to rescue a Qualters and Smith machine hacksaw from the skip. It is in very restorable condition.

The plate on it tells me that 'Qualters and Smith Bros. Ltd.' resided in Barnsley, and that the serial number of the saw is LDS 6 1257

A quick Google found a post code for what I take to be the factory at BD19 5JU, but little else. There are a couple of pictures on Google Images.

Can any kind soul point me to further information - please.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

Hi Mike,

That's a very exciting find. These are good machines and, looked after, will last pretty much forever. I wish I lived near skips like that!

The serial number breaks down into three parts. "LDS" means "light duty saw". "6" is the cutting capacity of the machine, which in this case is

6 inch diameter round stock. "1257" is the machine number. I have the heavy duty 8 inch version which carries the number "HDS 8 2505".

Qualters & Smith were bought out by Birkett Cutmaster. Their contact details are as follows:

Birkett Cutmaster Ltd PO Box 30 Cleckheaton West Yorkshire BD19 3BL Tel. 01274 870311 Fax. 01274 862754

They do keep a very limited range of spares for these machines. I bought the two blocks which clamp the blade from them a few years ago. If you call them, David Moorhouse is a helpful and knowledgeable person to speak to.

If I can be of any help, let me know. Good luck with the project!

Best wishes,

Chris Tidy

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

By the way, Birkett Cutmaster sent me a photocopy of the original manual for my saw, free of charge. They might have the manual for your saw, if you're lucky. If you have problems getting a manual I can make a copy of mine for you.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Chris

Very many thanks for all that information, most kind.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

No problem. Good luck with the restoration. Let me know how it works out.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

We have at our model engineering club a Qualters and Smith 6" Power Hacksaw. Does anyone have a service manual for it which I could copy or purchase?

DennisM

Reply to
marshd20

perhaps you could get some help from the second post down.

mick

replying to Christopher Tidy, Fran duffy wrote: Hi Chris I have a qualters and smith bandsaw model 10b would you have a manual or any info thanks fran

Reply to
Fran duffy

replying to Christopher Tidy, Fran duffy wrote: Hi Chris I have a qualters and smith bandsaw model 10b would you have a manual or any info thanks fran

Reply to
Fran duffy

You'll be lucky Fran. That post from Chris was twelve and a half years ago.

Reply to
Clifford Coggin

hi I just got a power saw donated to out workshop its a Qualters & smith wi th a 14" blade the serial no is gon on the plate so don't no model. I am lo oking for a service book or any information on the hydrolysis lifting pisto n ass it do-sent work Thanks David. snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
dpaterson944