Boring Head 60Int to 40Int?

Picked up a very nice boring head for (almost) beer money today, reason it is so cheap is the 60Int (might be 50, but looks big enough for 60) fitting.

I seem to remember that a lot of makers of these devices made the shanks interchangeable. If not, what are the chances of getting the taper remachined down to 40Int?

It looks very much like the Wohlhaupter on ebay last week (ebay

7582252166)

Peter

Prepair Ltd

It depends on Manufacturer and Model. But often, it is that way. What brand did you get?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

cheaply. It had a 50 or 60 int taper and I wanted it to be R8. The shank was screwed in on about a 1" dia section and there was a locking screw in the side of the body. I was unable to unscrew the shank at home and had to enlist the help of someone with a big machine to which it could be fitted. I then used a blank ended R8 shank to make a new screwed adapter.The Wohlhaupter is a different design but I imagine that a similar technique would work and would probably be easier than trying to re-machine the shank which may be hardened

Colin

Reply to
Colin Ager

Sorry for the delay in replying, picked it up this morning and had a general play with it before talking with John S just now.

There is a central thread, about 20mm diameter. No maker's name or number anywhere, it's very nicely made with gib strip adjustment for the sliding tool carrier, and the knurled ring at the top of the head that you can grip and hold so the tool runs out as the head revolves.

There is a security cap-head to stop the tool holder falling out.

There is a cap-head grub screw with a brass insert below to protect the thread, this seems to lock the head to the mounting thread, but directly opposite on the other side is a hardened end of something which has "Made in France" stamped on it and could be a pin to stop the thread undoing by going straight into the mounting thread. No obvious means of releasing that.

I'm looking for similar heads on the net to try and identify the unit.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

I was wondering where John was, as it seems awfully quiet without his regular comments on here. Must be busy after the holiday.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

How about puting a photo of your head (your boring head) on the net?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

It's an Enco head, similar box but smaller unit on:

Peter

Prepair Ltd

He's been at Ally Pally.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Sorry, can't help here. I would have had some Wohlhaupter specs or a bit about D'Andrea.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Playing catch up. Ketan at Arc Euro asked me on Wednesday if I would stand in for the Ally Pally show as his wife's mother was taken ill and he was needed at home. This left him minus a driver and a pair of hands so for ample monetary remuneration and as many free catalogues as I could stuff in my pockets I said I would.

Good show, very busy on the Friday dropping off slightly for the Saturday and Sunday as usual as most model engineers are retired and go on the first day.

Generally a decent bunch but you still got the purse and Reliant brigade, [ probably gone upmarket to a Corsa ] The amount of new products being brought in, in the last year is staggering and the quality is very good. There are the usual second hand tool merchants with the same tat they have had on their stalls for the last 6 years. Like a S/H 4 jaw chuck, 6" at £70.00, complete with dings and 'patina', when you can get a new one for £10 less ?? with ground slots as opposed to milled slots.

I bought two items from RDG for a super 7 lathe, £31 at Myfords, £9 at RDG and you can't tell the difference.

Even with these immense savings I was amused that some people were still trying to get a better deal. Show items that were discounted right down were still being queried "how much for cash ?" Two years ago you would have paid double anyway.

We all had turns with one guy, an exhibitor, over the three days coming round, asking endless inate questions but never buying anything. Finally on the last day he bought £8.00 worth of goods and wanted discount...................

If ever there was a person whose umbilical cord should have been tangled round his neck at birth it was this guy. I even went as far as to watch him go round the hall in case he came close to the stairs so I could rush over and push him down.

If Gillette's had have had a stand I don't think they would have sold many razor blades. If it hadn't been for the absence of sandals you could have mistaken it for a psycologists conference.

All in all though a decent show and a chance to put faces to names. Next one will be at Harrogate in May.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Forgot to mention and a blatant plug. Arc Euro had some of the modified 5C spin indexers on the stand at the show. These take 5C and ER32 collets and at the moment they are the only ones doing these dual fitting type and they sold out all the show models. One guy, 75 plus bought one to fit a stepper motor to it so there's hope yet....

As it's my design that's been copied I'm on royalties for sales. I get a nice polite thank you off Ketan for every one sold so that's 7 thank you's I'm owed.............

Grab the others quick before they all go.........

As I said blatant plug