Quills Vs Knees?

evening All, just a quick question about the pros and cons of a mill with a quill vs ones with a fixed vertical head and moving knee. Obviously the quill is more conveinant for drilling or plunging, but presumably the moving knee is more accurate? The Knee is more 'solid' when milling, but do you mill with the quill extended at all?

given Im not in a production enviroment, and that I have a drill press for drilling most holes is there any major disadvantage to not having a quill?

thanks

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

I suppose it is horses for courses. I can't imagine having to work without either to be honest You need the quill for co-ordinate drilling as you will loose all feel on fine holes just using the knee. Tapping under power needs the quill too.

As for milling with the quill extended? I avoid it as much as possible. As a guide, perhaps extending the quill by 1/3 of max travel and always locking it in whatever position when milling. Depending on the design of the machine, rigidity may be maintained at greater extensions. Some test cuts in steel will tell all about the relative rigidity of the machine.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin