RDG v G.H.Thomas dividing head

Peter, right- we have lift off! Ignore' the voices crying in the be-wilderness'

If you refer to the photos from RDG and the drawings of GHT on Page

158 of Workshop Techniques ie Fig 17.1, you will find the casting has been drilled to accept a steady. RDG shows the top of the bolts etc but there in no indication of the drilling. So we don't know if it is there or not. Unfortunately, Hemingway Kits is down and I can't price the gubbins either. If you feel capable of doing the drilling or using the hole in the RDG, there is no reason why you shouldn't lay out the money and treat it all as a part made set of castings. After all, you do get the micro attachment( OK, talk amongst yourselves) and you get the detent and three plates- plus a tail piece.and a pair of arms.Lot of work- trust me!

What you have got- or will get, is a damned sight more than the single casting which Reeves used to flog.Neil Hemingway flogged the lot but there must have been hundreds made from simple beginnings.

Peter, good luck! Oh, and you can wake up those who haven't made a dividing head yet but only talk and criticise.

A quote- I did think of St Paul and 'Be thou circumpect' but settled for Samuel Butler's the Critic( How apt) and 'He could distinguish and divide, A hair 'twixt south and south- west side'

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Prefer Bordeaux 1982 personally ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

A little 'whine' for thy stomach's sake- Tim 1- 5.23

Reply to
ravensworth2674

The book offers *some* useful advice then ...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Sorry to interupt the fun, but does anyone have one of the RDG divider yet? If so, could they perhaps post a picture or two to reveal a bit more of the detail?

Incomplete, by the GHT design, or not? That is the question.

Suitable for use as is? Or not?

Been pondering pounding out a pattern for the GHT version. With a little persuasion, I figure I could get one of my friends to pour a couple for me.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Trevor, The book -Workshop Techniques- contains the drawings for VDH to Thomas's design.

Page 295 Appendix C to whom GHT remarked 'There are people living in parts of the World far removed from us'

Moving slightly away, GHT brought the modifications for the Headstock version back- from New Zealand!

In a happier exchange of ideas, the Universal Pillar Tool was mentioned. The drawings for this excellent tool are also in the book. I have the staking tool bit done.

So whilst your mates are getting ready to pour, why not do the other bits? I can assure you that you will not be disappointed in the end products.

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

At last I now see there might be a difference. Perhaps I'll ask Mr RDG for more pictures.

It took a long time but I knew we'd get the answer.

Thanks one and all.

Reply to
1501

I have a copy of the drawings squirreled away. No worries there. The actual books are on my wants list, but lower down than some other things. IIRC the headstock dividing attachment had it's origins in some articles published by Radford. I have a set of castings on hand, for a pillar tool looking Sensitive Drilling Machine as per drawings published by Percival Marshall Co. Ltd. The drawing number is W.E.2, and I really must search out the other sheet from wherever it got stuck in one of my recent moves. The castings were produced by a foundry in Regina,SK. some years back, when taking a set of drawings such as these to the foundry, did not involve a requirement to own a bank.

I am quite curious as to the overall value of the RDG version. It appears to me, that, as one writer suggested, the unit may well be a pre-assembled kit, or pre-part-machined casting set, but at the price, I would think that it represented quite a value in saved labour and time.

Some folk do want tools they can use, vice projects, and the picture that RDG put up, is lacking a bit in the detail.

Me, I'm pretty much just curious, at this point.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones