RDG v G.H.Thomas dividing head

ravensworth2674 wrote:

I have a copy of the drawings squirreled away. No worries there. The actual books are on my wants list, but lower down than some other things. IIRC the headstock dividing attachment had it's origins in some articles published by Radford. I have a set of castings on hand, for a pillar tool looking Sensitive Drilling Machine as per drawings published by Percival Marshall Co. Ltd. The drawing number is W.E.2, and I really must search out the other sheet from wherever it got stuck in one of my recent moves. The castings were produced by a foundry in Regina,SK. some years back, when taking a set of drawings such as these to the foundry, did not involve a requirement to own a bank.
I am quite curious as to the overall value of the RDG version. It appears to me, that, as one writer suggested, the unit may well be a pre-assembled kit, or pre-part-machined casting set, but at the price, I would think that it represented quite a value in saved labour and time.
Some folk do want tools they can use, vice projects, and the picture that RDG put up, is lacking a bit in the detail.
Me, I'm pretty much just curious, at this point.
Cheers Trevor Jones

At last I now see there might be a difference. Perhaps I'll ask Mr RDG for more pictures.
It took a long time but I knew we'd get the answer.
Thanks one and all.
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:34:33 GMT, Peter Harrison
Prefer Bordeaux 1982 personally ;-)
Regards, Tony

A little 'whine' for thy stomach's sake- Tim 1- 5.23
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:56:54 -0800 (PST), ravensworth2674

The book offers *some* useful advice then ...
Regards, Tony
ravensworth2674 wrote:

> The RDG isn't as complete as that of G H Thomas, as the word is, Gerald Bull was doing the drawings as a favour some years back, when suddenly he succumbed to terminal perforation. In all probability, you're acquainted with the perforator.
Tom
Thanks Tom for your comments. Having built the GHT beast( and learned from it), I was merely issuing some words of caution to those who are kitting out workshops- and was 'going on a bit' as is my wont. GHT had gone a long way to incorporate so many details over the years- before he, too, had to succumb to the ravages of old age and infirmary(?). Oddly, I was indirectly thanking one of our number for a contribution to a national cancer charity. Didn't know that clair voyance was part of the forum. Oh, well!
I think that it would interest a lot of us if we knew that we could,say, fit Myford collets or other ones or chucks and faceplates. GHT did say Versatile.
Meantime, I await further valued comments.
Norman
I hope nobody thought I set out to raise a stir against RDH or criticise the Hemingway kit. (Horses for courses and all that). I was trying to seek readers views on the merits of ready made or "rolling ones own". If one wants an excellent project the kit is an excellent way to go. Alternately if you just want to get on and do some dividing of small work I guess the RDH machine is for you.