re-tinning bearings

I've got an old mechanical powerhammer which uses babbit metal bearings. How would I go about re-tinning and machining the bearings. The main casting is about 5 feet tall and weighs about a ton, it's a bit too big to fit on my mill's table!

Reply to
imagedude

Get a bigger mill

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

If you root around the web there are a couple sites around that cover re-babbiting bearings.

In general they are poured in place using a dam material to keep the molten babbit contained, and with a layer of material on the shaft to keep the babbit from sticking. For the latter, some use a wrap of paper, others use soot from an acetylene flame.

Once the halves ar poured to your satisfactin, the separating material is removed, the shaft is refitted and the shells get scraped to a nice fit on the bearing.

I suppose a portable boring bar could be used, but I have not heard of anyone going that route, though it used to be a common operation on old car rods and bearings.

Here is a link to a pdf file (you will need a reader, most use Adobe Acrobat reader, a free download) specifically regarding a Litte Giant Power Hammer.

Babbit itself being none too cheap, save the old babbit and add to it what you must to make up the volume required.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Hoyt used to have some good info.They have changed their name to something like Darenth Hoyt.A google search for Hoyts metal or Kirksite might give you a lead. Mark.

Reply to
mark

Hoyt's excellent guide is here:

you ask nicely they'll probably offer guidance on which grade to use. However their minimum order when I last checked was 50kg (@£20/kg) and rising, so you'll need to find a local source that will sell you a few kgs.

hth

Reply to
Roland Craven