Has the world gone mad?

Just been googling for hex brass bolts - very few suppliers seem to
carry them these days. The only one I found is asking £146 for a box
of 100 10mm diam x 16mm length. That surely is taking the p***.
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Andrew
email me with what you need, I'll see what's in stock locally.
Tim
Tim Leech
I picked up some M10 & M12 brass hex the other day, just put them on the tab. I hope they don't charge me that sort of money :-(
Cheers Tim
Tim Leech
any good? M10x20mm
(usual disclaimer)
Reply to
bigegg
Have some m10 brass studding any help
Reply to
Andrew Bishop
FWIW, M10 x 20 brass bolts from local supplier are 52p each
Tom
Reply to
Tom
Yess they'll do nicely thank you. I don't believe the Farnell catalogues search whatzit - I placed an order on Friday evening with Farnell for some other stuff and tried for the brass bolts then - all I found was the sort you put on a door! Now I see they call them 'sets' !!! You'd think there would be some sort of cross look up in the search engine !!!!!!!
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Tim, I still haven't had a chance to call my local place (Modern Screws, which conjures up nubile gymnasts) but thanks.
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
I just did "Brass M10"
Like I said before - I use the search engine more than most
Reply to
bigegg
Got my bill today, they have charged me 78p each for 20 off M10 x 25 brass hex setscrews
Cheers Tim
Tim Leech
£60 plus VAT at our local supplier. They thought they 'might' be able to improve on that, plus they thought a 20mm long might be cheaper as it is a more popular size.
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk
Prepair Ltd
Got them from Farnell eventually when I found that they call bolts 'sets' - about £15 for 50 for 20mm length, but they came with a note saying they would not supply after current stocks run out.
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
A setscrew (or sometimes setbolt) is a screw/bolt threaded all the way to the head.
Tim
Tim Leech
Oh yes but if they are going to abreviate to SET you'd think there'd be a cross look up to bolt at least !
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
I quite agree. If I went into the local bolt store or engineers' merchants I would ask for 'sets', but then the context should make it obvious what I want.
On the subject of prices going silly, I went to the electrical wholesalers (a branch of a big firm) wanting some 2-core power tool flex, hoping they would have it in 50m or even 25m coils. No such luck, only 100m, but he *refused* to give me a price. "It'll be too much! Go to B&Q!" They have a catalogue of their wares on the counter, with prices. All the cable pages have been removed. I could have pressed him further but couldn't be bothered. He did get in some 3-core flex with the braided outer for me (SY???), I asked for 5m, next day there was a drum end with more like 20m waiting for me
Tim
Tim Leech
He might have done you a favour. farnell have more than doubled the list prices on some of the cable over the last month.
As far as I can tell, B&Q are still charging last year's prices
Reply to
bigegg
2182Y in Black 0.75 2-core we usually have on the shelf, we have a couple of hand electric drills with long leads these days....
If you need some, I'll check on Monday, off to a funeral tomorrow :-((
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web:
Peter A Forbes
I appreciate the offer, Peter, but I'm after something a bit meatier. It need to be big enough for a 2kW grinder on 110V.
Cheers Tim
Tim Leech
We have a reel of that flexible sheathed stuff in 2-core, but it is quite big on diameter, probably 2.5mm cable, 2 core + sheath.