Recommendation: Quality bench vice

I'm after a seriously good quality bench vice that has no measurable play when in use.

To be used for both fairly precision items and more bulky - up to perhaps 125mm or so.

Can anyone recommend something not along the lines of Draper or Clarkes or similar?

Thanks

Odie

Reply to
Odie Ferrous

Well, precision machine vices are made accurately so that items held in them are present accurately for machining (i.e. jaws are parellel (or 90 degrees) to sole, and stay that way)

I do not understand a requirment for precision (as opposed to nice ergonomics) in a bench vice.

Could you expand on your requirments?

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Record always used to be the best bench vice manufacturer, but expensive.

Machine vices are a different set of requirements (and makers)

Peter

Prepair Ltd

I need to work on primarily metal, and on smaller pieces more than large

- say 2mm x 10mm up to 100mm or so.

This involves drilling, filing, sawing, etc. My current vice (not even branded) is fine for rough sawing wood, but there is a little play between the grip and the base that renders it useless for metalwork.

Odie

Reply to
Odie Ferrous

For those sorts of sizes and uses and the requirement for a level of precision, I would recommend a Record No 23 vice. Look on Ebay and keep an eye out for ones that appear to be in good condition and sufficiently local to you to be worth collecting. You may want to disassemble the vice, give it a thorough clean and re-grease, but that will depend on its condition.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

On or around Tue, 22 May 2007 17:47:34 +0100, Mark Rand enlightened us thusly:

or if you can swing it, buy a new one. ISTR J&L sell 'em, but they're serious money.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It is either for precision work, OR for bulky. I have two. The second one for hammering, welding, bending, ... The first and good one is out of reach of these torture-instruments!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I fully do understand that. Mine (a perfect Leinen-clone) closes parallel, doesn't wiggle, the jaws are in one plane and it weights more than you would like to lift a machine-vice. Good for clamping small and sensible parts. Jaws are replaceable, flat and not knurled (?).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I've got a Paramo, it seems very similar in quality to Record. I don't know if they're still made but can sometimes be seen at auctions, boot sales and the like.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

For small work I have a small 1 1/2" machine vice bolted to a scrap of 1" square steel that I just hold in my 4" vice, gives the best of both worlds without the need for two vices taking up width on the bench.

Jason

Reply to
jasonballamy