Safety tips for using lathe

I've had a lathe for some time and used it for small machining of antenna parts etc.

However, I suffered a stroke some weeks back and, while I'm recovering well, I have some problems with sensation on my right side and, to be honest, I'm a bit wary of using the lathe. I used a ordinary B&D drill for a DIY job today and it was a very odd feeling.

I can't be the first bod to have this problem, so does anyone have any safety tips.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Sorry to hear about your stroke Brian, hope you make a full recovery.

Thats the trouble with getting older, you get to an age where you're old enough to comfortably afford the toys you've wanted and then something like this crops up. Murphy strikes again:)

Is the problem judging how much force/effort/distance to put into a control point and then over/under doing it? Might be a good idea to try and rig up some sort of detent system if thats possible. Regards

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Brian, I'm 76 and not the man that I used to was! Years ago, I mauled a left paw in a Myford PR11 wood planer- don't ask. I do understand your problem fully and sympathise. I would go to have a word with your family doctor or preferably your consultant cardiologist and take his advice.

As a sort of rider, I know lots of old geysers like us who are still bashing on but there are degrees of heart probems and none of us are sufficiently expert to comment or advise. As a rule of thumb, maybe your doctor has given advice on driving.

I think that each and everyone of us would wish you well - and to keep well in the future.

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Thank you Peter and Norm, I read you comments with interest. One point, I'm not yet 50 so don't consider myself old ;-)

Brian

Brian Reay

--Bummer, dude, to use an American expression. I've got a looong history of strokes in my family so I try not to miss the aspirin-a-day routine; suggest you do the same at the outset. As for using the lathe: I'd make double certain that you've got a shear pin on the leadscrew at the very least. If your lathe isn't equipped with this you might want to make it your first project. Aluminum shear pins are a *lot* cheaper than a broken arm from an errant sleeve, etc, particularly if you are having trouble with feeling in arms, etc. Hope you make a full recovery!

Reply to
steamer

Sorry to hear that Brian.. If you are only making the odd small? part, maybe an option would be to try a small benchtop cnc lathe? It might even give you a new interest ;-)

They often come up on ebay etc.

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Brian, sorry to hear of your stroke but I'm sure with a bit of time and luck you will make a full recovery. When I was an apprentice more years ago than I'd like to remember we had an instructor who only had the use of his left arm. He always kept the other arm inside of his buttoned up dust coat and had the sleeve cut and sewn up to keep it out of harms way. As far as I can remember the only changes he made to his lathe was that he modified the saddle and cross-slide locks so that they were very easy to apply/undo. He was fastidious in using a chuck guard as it protected against that involuntary reach accross with his left arm to re-direct coolant etc. While it was mainly his arm that was affected he also couldn't stand for long periods and worked using a tall stool to provide support. While he would not have been the quickest at producing items his traction engines were superb. I'm sorry to say that in my youth I didn't recognise his superb wealth of knowledge and didn't spend much time with him. Luckily, when I was a bit older and more sensible, I went back for some evening classes to use the bigger machines and he was doing a bit of evening work. I was lucky enough to become friends with him and enjoyed his company and advice for several years unitil he sadly passed away. He had evolved a system of putting his tools in just the right place and had a number of small tool trays mounted to the left of the headstock.

Brian, I'm not sure if this is of any help but it might give you an idea or two and the confidence to have another go.

Best regards, good luck

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk