Sash Weights as a source of cast iron bar

Typically, what sort of quality will the cast iron be in discarded sash window weights?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In article , Steve writes

In my limited experience, as hard as a tart's heart and full of inclusions. I gave up. YMMV.

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

As good as that hmm... maybe I won't bother then!

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Steve,

In any of the sash weights I ever used, the only criterion in manufacture seemed to be the weight, and certainly not the quality of the metal used :-)

JIm.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

I have a pile of them left over from new window installations - they are horrible white iron - dead hard and full of blow holes

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In my experience it depends on age. I have removed a large number from our windows. Those from about 1860-1900ish were a lovely grey iron under the hard skin. Those post 1900 were as ghastly as Nigel described. Incidentally old lineshaft seems to almost as bad. hth

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

I use them for making disc wheels for 16mm to the foot rolling stock. Once you get through the outer layer I've found it lovely stuff.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

I'll second Rolands observations on the two types, I've found both types. Best way I have found is to smack the weight onto the ground so it snaps in half and take a look. If it's a dull and even grey colour - it's good. If It's shiny, white or has holes or glittery bits in it chuck it at next doors cat

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson