Flat Belts

Had a slight disaster over the holidays when the flat belt drive on my
9" Southbend finally gave up the ghost (it has looked like it was
going to fall apart at any time since I bought the lathe). Fitting a
joined belt would mean stripping the head assembly and the
countershaft assembly, so not something I wanted to do. But I didn't
want an "aligator clip" either as it would be annoyingly noisy. So I
bought a new drive belt, with skived ends, and persuaded the supplier
to sell me some of the cement that they use to join the belts together
so I could assemble it myself on the machine. The only problem is
that the cement says it must be used at a temperature of over 15
degrees centigrade. As my workshop is not heated it is unlikely to
hit that temperature until mid spring (If I'm lucky!). Any bright
ideas or suggestions? (I wondered about bringing the lathe inside
overnight, but it wont fit through the kitched door -would go through
the french doors into the lounge but I might not live long enough to
use it when fixed !!!). The glue that I have is "EXTREMULTIS VAS3
Cement" if anyone is familiar with it (nasty stuff -flamable,
poisenous, and burns skin as it contains acid).
Regards
Kevin
Reply to
Kevin Steele
Build temporary hut around lathe using old cardboard boxes from Crapmas Presents.
Make small hole and poke hair drier output nozzle therein.
Nice warm lathe, localised effect.
Reply to
Airy R. Bean
Just stick a spotlamp over it, a 60 watter should do - it's all I use when I use glues that require heat to set.
15 degs isn't that warm, so a lamp placed about a foot away should be more than adequate.
Regards,
Reply to
Stephen Howard
didn't
supplier
together
through
Clamp a block of steel either side of the belt (it will help to keep the join together anyway) and warm them up initially with a light torching then play a light on them to keep it all warm overnight. You don't say how long it takes to 'go off' but I assume only an hour or so.
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
It will take overnight to go off, but leaving a bulb on all night shouldn't be a problem -I like this idea. I was planning to locate the ends of the belt using some aluminium blocks (easier to machine than steel, and I have more laying around). If I get chance I'll have a play at the weekend. I had hoped the old belt would last until it got a bit warmer, but sods law intervened again
Regards
Kevin
Reply to
Kevin Steele
I take it you didn't get any presents then. Something has put you in a bad mood.
Reply to
Nimrod
Thanks, that seems to have worked. Finally got time to do it over the weekend, it was quite mild so I only needed to get about 5 degrees above room temperature.
Regards
Kevin
Reply to
Kevin Steele