Flat Belts

Had a slight disaster over the holidays when the flat belt drive on my

9" Southbend finally gave up the ghost (it has looked like it was going to fall apart at any time since I bought the lathe). Fitting a joined belt would mean stripping the head assembly and the countershaft assembly, so not something I wanted to do. But I didn't want an "aligator clip" either as it would be annoyingly noisy. So I bought a new drive belt, with skived ends, and persuaded the supplier to sell me some of the cement that they use to join the belts together so I could assemble it myself on the machine. The only problem is that the cement says it must be used at a temperature of over 15 degrees centigrade. As my workshop is not heated it is unlikely to hit that temperature until mid spring (If I'm lucky!). Any bright ideas or suggestions? (I wondered about bringing the lathe inside overnight, but it wont fit through the kitched door -would go through the french doors into the lounge but I might not live long enough to use it when fixed !!!). The glue that I have is "EXTREMULTIS VAS3 Cement" if anyone is familiar with it (nasty stuff -flamable, poisenous, and burns skin as it contains acid).

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Build temporary hut around lathe using old cardboard boxes from Crapmas Presents.

Make small hole and poke hair drier output nozzle therein.

Nice warm lathe, localised effect.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Just stick a spotlamp over it, a 60 watter should do - it's all I use when I use glues that require heat to set.

15 degs isn't that warm, so a lamp placed about a foot away should be more than adequate.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

didn't

supplier

together

through

Clamp a block of steel either side of the belt (it will help to keep the join together anyway) and warm them up initially with a light torching then play a light on them to keep it all warm overnight. You don't say how long it takes to 'go off' but I assume only an hour or so.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It will take overnight to go off, but leaving a bulb on all night shouldn't be a problem -I like this idea. I was planning to locate the ends of the belt using some aluminium blocks (easier to machine than steel, and I have more laying around). If I get chance I'll have a play at the weekend. I had hoped the old belt would last until it got a bit warmer, but sods law intervened again

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

I take it you didn't get any presents then. Something has put you in a bad mood.

Reply to
Nimrod

Thanks, that seems to have worked. Finally got time to do it over the weekend, it was quite mild so I only needed to get about 5 degrees above room temperature.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele