Steel rod, unusual sizes

I need a source of 2.6mm steel rod - silver steel preferably, but mild would do. Only needs to be 6 inches long at minimum. Ideally I'd like a range of sizes around it ( ie 2.55 or an imperial/wire gauge equivalent ). Haven't been able to find an off the shelf source for such material - anyone have any pointers, or is this likely to be a special order?

Cheers,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

As 2.6mm (0.1024 in) is close to 1/10", which does not seem to be a size of silver steel stocked by British suppliers, perhaps searching sites in the USA for 1/10" drill rod (the American name for slver steel) might be successful as imperial measurements are the standard there. Maybe asking in an American based engineering group might come up with a source.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Have you tried a decent model (i.e. model planes etc.) shop? Most of 'em stock a variety of sizes of "piano wire" for making springs, undercarriages for planes etc. - you might have to take a micrometer / vernier to measure it though!

Dave H.

Reply to
Dave H.

Try MSC/J&L for some "drill blanks". This HSS material is available in "number" sizes the nearest of which would be 39 (2.527mm) or 38 (2.578mm). Now the down side, it is only available in about 2.5" lengths. T.W.

Reply to
the wizard

Got that wrong, 37 (2.642mm) is nearest, like they say measure twice cut once, or better still read the specs first. T.W.

Reply to
the wizard

Get some SS centreless ground at your local friendly grinders? How much in total do you need? Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Stephen, 2.6mm stainless is probably a 'dental' size. So 'Ash'( not Sam Ash) might help

2.5mm in silver steel is available from people like Cromwell Tools. Otherwise, you should be looking at clockmaking suppliers ( or musical instrument makers-ouch)

Oddly, are you interested in a supply of African Blackwood billets and a chunk of rosewood.? Offered to my wife's musical mates- but heigh ho-no go.

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Reply to
tomol

from ravensworth2674

Could be. What size?

JG

Reply to
JG

Reamers??? Northumbrian pipemakers use D bits made out of silver steel.

You could dunk a bit of the rod in Kasenit- as the old clockmakers did

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

There's a woodwind materials supply company that does steel rod slightly larger ( .103 inch - 2.62mm ), but that will mean tracking down an appropriate hand reamer. It's currently looking like I'll have to have the rod custom ground.

Ta for the offer of the wood, but I've got a fair few bits and pieces

- probably enough to last me a lifetime, as I tend not to use much of it for the sort of work I do.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Stephen, Isn't it worth checking to see whether a 2.5mm drill will cut oversize anyway. If your drill chuck is not perfect and your 2.5 drill the same, the whole caboodle might cut oversize anyway.

There is a lot of worn tooling which might accommodate such challenges.

Of course, it ain't in the book- is it?

Cheers

ravensworth2674

I'm considering the D bit method as it's only going to be used on brass, and it might turn out to be the only sensible ( i.e. inexpensive ) option. Migh have a chat with Brian Howard about it.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Trouble is, I have to fit a pivot rod into various lengths of tube, some as short as 5 or 6mm - and without sufficient accuracy the shaft will wobble. I can get so far with the overcut method, but it requires lapping to achieve the accuracy required...and that's a step I'd like to do away with.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Sizes & quantites, Norm?

Reply to
Charles Lamont

A method I was shown for making hinges for metal boxes etc in a metalsmithing class was to make a rough fitting tube around the hinge pin then draw the tube down around the pin using a draw plate. That produces a very good fit between the parts, you cut the tube into the sections required and solder up the hinge. Sounds like it might be worth a try and save you having to find suitable rod. Draw plates are readily available from jewellers suppliers.

Reply to
David Billington

Can't use that method ( I use a similar method with a special pair of swedging pliers ) as there's a lacquered finish to content with.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Charles, As Blackwood/Grenadilla is in terribly short supply for musical instrument making and repair even the turnings are being mixed with epoxies and re-used. So unless you are making or repairing, I'd prefer not to part with it

Hope this doesn't offend anyone.

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Sorry - not interested.

ravensworth2674

Manual

Stephen, sorry a bit late to this thread but I'll have a look and measure up tomorrow as a few years ago I cleared out a toolmakers shop and there were loads of odd sized ground bars in bins.

I grabbed a few handfuls and they are sitting in a box somewhere, need daylight and a rope round my middle and a pocket full of breadcrumbs before I start looking.

John S.

Reply to
John S