Steel rod, unusual sizes

In article , Stephen Howard writes

Stephen,

Don't know if there is a particular reason why you need silver steel - do you need to machine it?

If not, or if grinding will get you the shape you need, then you might find the HSS drill blanks from Drill Service Co will provide the size you need.

(By one of those interesting co-incidences, I just received a marketing newsletter from them.)

If not, well perhaps other readers will find the reference useful.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Ta for the offer - but I managed to track down a supply of Imperial silver steel rods that come in at 2.62mm - which is close enough for jazz. Knocked up a couple of D reamers and so far the results are encouraging!

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Silver steel, because I can make reamers out of it - and because it has to serve as a pivot rod inside a tube it's helpful if it's accurate. I also have to cut a thread on one end.

I had a look at drill blanks, but they're not long enough.

Surprising lack of response from steel companies to my enquiry emails

- only West Yorkshire steel had the courtesy to get back to me to say 'sorry, no can do'.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

...and College Engineering.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Having figured out that I'm stuck with using 2.62mm (.103") dia. rods, I had a look at the drill-service site and found they do .103 machine reamers from stock! I spent an entertaining couple of days making D bit reamers up without the use of a lathe before finding that drill-service sell the correct reamer for a tenner. They can even make up a custom hand reamer for about £28 delivered. I ordered a machine reamer which arrived next day - and while my D bit reamers did the job, the spiral machine reamer is a whole lot better.

I am officially sorted, thanks guys!

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

In article , Stephen Howard writes

Stephen,

Glad it was useful! I have bought some machine reamers from them, they have a very extensive range, as you found, and the prices are good. Well worth bookmarking.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood