Heads Up! Another steel clear out!

Hi All

Just a bit of advance warning..........

I have about 500 maybe 600kg, possibly more, at a rough guess of bright mild steel stashed on the floor of my late fathers (dry)garage and I will be needing to 'rehome' it in the not too distant future - some time in May.

I haven't had a chance to sort it into sizes and sections and to honest don't much fancy doing so ;o) However, it consists of round, flat, square and hex. Flat is around 6x2mm, 20x3mm, 25x5mm and some larger stuff as well. Round could be anything in the 3mm,6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm,

15mm, 20mm, 25mm. The square could be 6mm, 10mm, 20mm 25mm. The hex could be 6mm, 10mm,15mm, 20mm,25mm. There are some lengths of bright angle 25x25x5mm

The above is not gospel and when I slap some verniers on the steel it could all turn out to be imperial. It was stashed in a university departments metal store, some of it for upto 30 years possibly more. They needed the space and so they rationalised what stock they held - I believe they now keep 2 pieces of 20mm round bar propped up against the back of the workshop lathe and buy everything else they need in, as they need it.

Generally speaking there shouldn't be anything more than about 7 foot long.

It is all pretty clean and rust free.

I'll try and pop off a couple of digital photos in the next day or so that I can email out to any interested parties so you can see the quantity, quality and range of sizes

I do not currently know if it is bog standard BMS or free cutting, some of the stock has a daub of green paint - which IIRC used to be, and may still be the designation for free cutting steel. I figure if I just try a blob of wled on the end of some of the bars I should get a good indication of what they are.

I would like to get rid of the whole lot in one go, if two or more people want to get together and divvy it up as it is removed from the garage, thats fine by me.

I haven't got my head around how much to ask for the steel as yet, but it will be 'very competitively priced' !!

The metal is currently located in Histon, about 2 miles north of Cambridge and collection would ideally be weekday evenings but Sunday mornings are also possible.

To email me - remove 'The Obvious' from the email address shown

regards

Dudley

Reply to
Dudley Simons