Surface grinder on Ebay

Item 290108359039

Isn't it a tad unusual to have the grinding wheel axis of rotation perpendicular to the table on a surface grinder? (Unless it is intended to grind vertical surfaces, that is...)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Relatively common actually Tony, fitted with a cup wheel. Quite often on this type of grinder the grinding head swings round instead of the job being passed under it. More useful for large flat areas, as obviously it covers more area at a time than a more traditional type of surface grinder.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

OK - that makes sense.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

and can't really make edges or useless trying to dress a profile onto the wheel. Mostly used for resharpening punches. Don't you call that a Blanchard grinder?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

No, I call a Blanchard Grinder one with the name "Blanchard" cast in to it that is 4m tall, uses a 1m diameter wheel and a 2m diameter rotary table.

Other than that, they are quite similar :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Oh you mean the 'small' Blanchard or Lumsden as we know it here ?

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Tony, Model Engineering Services ie the suppliers of the Quorn and Kennet castings also supplied castings for a small 'Blanchard' type grinder.

Actually, mine has a 'fixed' head and the work table works to and fro with a ratchet.

This suggests that I should put a new wheel on it and flog it on E-Bay as it is a nice thing to flatten castings prior to machining.

I believe that JS has a something similar. Earlier, another correspondent and I tried to get more info as we had identical machines but no drawings or manuals.

Interesting tool, though

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674