Temptation...

...Is a terrible thing. A mere 8 months after getting my Warco VMC mill I'm getting very tempted to buy a Bridgy thats available locally that I know the history of.

The thing is I don't really need it, I just want it:) Room for it in my single-car garage workshop will be *really* tight, then I have to figure out how to move it, and then unload it and get it in place.

In the meantime I would have to get rid of my VMC as unfortunately there isn't room for two of them (anyone hypothetically interested in this btw?)

My head keeps telling me not to be so daft but the incurable 'workshopping' lust seems to be winning. I haven't been brave enough to talk to 'er indoors about it yet.

So what should I do? Stay with what I've got or be bold and get the Bridgy?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

More than half the fun of this hobby is the acquisition of tooling and machines, so go for it and stop dithering! :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 07:35:46 +0100, Peter Neill

The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it .... Oscar Wilde.

Seriously it'll be a move up, especially if it's a good machine at a good price. A Bridgy isn't gods gift to machining but it's very flexible and a good size for a small workshop. And you can get the parts! What spec is this machine - and how much?

As for talking to her indoors it depends upon the financial balance. The sale of a decent VMC could cover a fair chunk of a Bridgy cost. As for moving it John S has detailed it here:

they break down into parts easily it's not hard.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

You're doomed!!

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I actually have a choice of several models. Back in February I posted in a thread here

one of our Toolmakers closing down and the entire shop being bought out to sell it all to India.

As it turns out the dealer he sold it to has cherrypicked a little bit and put the rest up for auction here

but it looks like I might have a chance to get a machine before the auction ends. He even has a Gorton 8 1/2D mill that I've been trying to buy the collets from for Peter Forbes.

I've arranged to go over there next week and have a good look over the Mills and get the condition of them straight from the horses mouth so to speak. Apart from one machine they all have DRO & power feed fitted.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Missed that one. Looks interesting. Since you're going to need to go for a single phase conversion the "less desirable" belt drive models are worth considering seriously. They tend to be cheaper and you'll have to put an inverter on so will get variable speed in the end.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Plus the stepped pulley models don't suffer from head noise like the varispeeds. But note that all the step speeds in the auction are two speed models, except the last series 1 You can't run a 2 speed off an invertor only a static or rotary converter as the 2 speed motors need 440v.

Step speed models are also shorter and a bit lighter than varispeeds

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

metric or imp,spindle type and rough location please. Regards Chris

Reply to
gyro boy

I see you have already discussed how sad this is. I hope someone is keeping tabs on the decline of the industry, I wouldn't want to miss the last auction !

Steve

Reply to
Steve Richardson

But it's a fairly simple mod to change the motor on a 2 speed for a modern metric flange mounted one - I have and a 1.5HP flange mounting motor fits nicely. You just have to extend the shaft. Then it runs on an inverter OK.

The purists may mutter about the lack of forced air cooling to the bearings but in a home workshop you'd need a lot more free time than I have for that to cause a problem.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

True but just pointing the options out. That pancake motor is a pile of s#~t anyway, in fact all the US made motors are compared to modern European ones.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I just casually dropped a mention of the Bridgy into a conversation with the wife and showed her a picture of it.

The first thing she said was " we can move the washing machine if you need more room for it...."

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

You have 3-1/2 days of the Easter holiday more than enough time.

Don't waste time posting again will it's in and you can show us some pic's

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Steve, don't bother just go for it now because just after the last auction they will switch the electric off........................

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Chris, its R8 metric and near Ipswich in Suffolk. Regards

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Just for the record here's a picture of a remotor BP head

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Do I recognise that motor ?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Nope. It's one of the rare ones that you wouldn't! Ebay 25 quid brand new. 1.5 HP 4 pole 3 phase

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

I had a look at the the Mills the other day and have decided which one(s) to buy - trouble is I have to go through the auction but never mind:( As such I wil putting my VMC up for sale shortly to fund the purchase of this. Interested parties please beat a rush to my door!

However, I have yet another query about driving the motor. Having searched through the archives on Google till my head ached, it would appear the simplest thing to do is to get a convertor to run this off,rather then re-motoring and buying an inverter. I don't really have the space or want the noise from a rotary convertor, so would this run OK from a static convertor?

I've read about a few minus points on static convertors (from the boost site amonst others) i.e. low torque, max speed not avaiable, can't run suds pump with main motor, phases burning out etc - but is this really the case?

And what should I look for in a convertor capable of running everything on the Bridgy? Any makes to avoid?

All advice for this electrical ignoramus greatly appreciated.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

varispeeds

mounting

never

purchase

I ran my Bridgeport for many years on a Transwave static convertor - splendid beast - Transwave / Power Capacitors are one of the nicest firms to deal with - very helpful. I had one of the early 3KW units and ran Bridgeport and Colchester Student and various other bits and bobs off it. It only failed once in 15 years and that was when I knocked it off a shelf and broke the voltage sensitive relay ! Only replaced the static when I got a Colchester Master 2500 with a motor too big for the converter so bought a Transwave rotary.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson