The lathe versus the sword.

An interesting book.

'The History of John Bull, by John Arbuthnot'

I just got to chapter XII and am minded of two opposing histories. These being the history of the sword, the other being the history of the lathe. Food for thought for a hobbyist or tinkering professional methinks. One put to use for its own purposes needs little of the other, but the other put to use for it's own purposes needs the other entirely. (and the liner she's a lady as Kipling may say). But what of the consequences?

Having trained a bit in mechanics and law, I lean on the mechanical side.

Any views?

Righto, I'm off back to my book.

Be back soon.

Reply to
Billy H

Billy, Given the time of the posting would you be better with more water with it ?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

You mean when he says "leaning on the mechanical side" he may mean he is listing to Port (or is it whisky)?

;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Indeed so. Fecundi calices quem non fecere disertum

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

My friendly Web translator site came up with this edifying translation:

"Fertile darkness whom not to work zealously to leave."

I couldn't have put it better myself ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I borrowed it from Horace, the literal translation being "whom hath full cups not made more eloquent" Little memories of a semi-classical education pop back every now and then but are generally of no use whatsoever, except for being a smartarse!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Now what do you mean by time? Time of day? Time of life? Time of political cycle?

Nah, it wasn't alcohol, and more water would only make me stay awake longer, making noises as I rushed off to relieve my bladder more often.

And these liners, they are needing more water these days I believe. Why do they make them so big???

:o)

Reply to
Billy H

With the whiskey I think I'd be listing to the Starboard, well I think the twinkle in my eye would anyhow. I'll stick to Port for now!

Reply to
Billy H

I never got a classical education in the true sense. Ower skool, which was approved by HM Government, leant more towards GCSE in subjects like glue sniffing, GBH and ice cube rolling.............................

The only classic bit was music where you had to learn an instrument, guitars not allowed.

I took up the violin. The only reason behind this was I could do a shit hot impression of Ralph Brian's dropping 6 gears for Keppel gate on the Honda 4

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

The local barmaid has very full cups & she certainly talks a lot

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Oh come on now John, they hadn't invented glue sniffing when you were in Borstal !!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Check the patent rights !!!!!!!!

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

So you could say she was quite 'fecund' then

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Fairly often, I would imagine...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Waiting for the glue pot to boil up probably took the fun out of it..

'course Copydex smells of kippers :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I did some violin for a short time too. I don't remember why I gave it up, maybe it was the accusations of glue sniffing (they never taught us how, and when I was accused maybe it was in order they could drag me out to show me how properly, but I denied it.). I never did get taught how :o(, one skill I sadly lack.

I got involved in bullying once or twice too. The guy didn't half take a whack when I became bored with running and stopped dead, throwing my punch for the poor guy to run right onto!

I was given the nickname 'hard-willy' for a time after that.

:o)

My captaincy of the school chess team didn't last long. The first game we played saw me beaten in four moves by the captain of the local hearing impaired school. Lucky for me she likely didn't hear my curses!

Reply to
Billy H