Actors who served in the military

This is a tangential question derived from an earlier topic string. Who have
been actors who have served in the armed forces? I will start off:
Don Adams
John Agar
Eddie Albert
James Arness
Ed Asner
Gene Autry
Martin Balsam
Alan Bates
Harry Belafonte
Humphrey Bogart
Richard Boone
Ernest Borgnine
Neville Brand
Charles Bronson
Mel Brooks
Richard Burton (my mother-in-law dated him while he was training in Canada)
Michael Caine
Art Carney
Jeff Chandller
Sean Connery
Jackie Coogan
Tony Curtis
Ossie Davis
James Doohan
Kirk Douglas
Charles Durning
Clint Eastwood
Maurice Evans
Douglas Fairbanks Jr.
Mike Farrell
Henry Fonda
Glenn Ford
Morgan Freeman
Clark Gable
Frank Gorshin
Sir Alec Guinness
Gene Hackman
Larry Hagman
Alan Hale
Sterling Hayden
Jack Hawkins
David Hedison
Charlton Heston
Benny Hill
William Holden
Anthony Hopkins
Rock Hudson
Tab Hunter
Rick Jason
Bob "Captain Kangaroo" Keeshan
Harvey Keitel
Brian Keith
George Kennedy
Werner Klemperer
Don Knotts
Burt Lancaster
Jack Lemmon
Dean Paul Martin
Strother Martin
Lee Marvin
Patrick MacNee
Ed McMahon
Steve McQueen
Burgess Meredith
Gary Merrill
Robert Montgomery
Audie Murphy (actually the other way around)
Paul Newman
David Niven
Caroll O¹Connor
Jack Palance
Bert Parks
Donald Pleasance
Tyrone Power
Elvis Presley
Anthony Quayle
Aldo Ray
Ronald Reagan
Carl Reiner
Don Rickles
Jason Robards Jr.
Mickey Rooney
John Russell
Robert Ryan
Arnold Schwarzenegger
George C. Scott
Rod Serling
Robert Stack
Rod Stieger
Jimmy Stewart
Jon Voight
Eli Wallich
Jack Warden
James Whitmore
Reply to
Bill Zuk
Sir Peter Ustinov (he was David Niven's batman in WWII)
Don H.
Reply to
Don Harstad

mindesign
My favorite was Richard Todd (Dam Busters, The Longest Day). In "The Longest Day", he played the leader of the glider troops that captured the Orne River bridge. In real life, he was one of the paratroopers dropped onto that same position later in the day to reinforce that group.
There is another actor who played the captain of the Prince of Wales in "Sink the Bismark". In real life, he was actually serving on the Prince of Wales during the Bismark hunt and was severly injured when the bridge was hit.
Reply to
GaryKato
Ronald Howard, son of Scarlet Pimpernel Leslie. David Farrar
What about military support such as inventors ?
Richard.
Reply to
Richard Brooks
Sir Michael Horden ( best remembered perhaps for narrating Paddington Bear on British TV) Denholm Elliott John Gregson (Angels 1-5, Sea of Sand) Sam Kydd (very familiar "bit part" actor. If you don't know his name you'd certainly know his face. IMDB gives him 203 movie credits I suspect there are more. Uncountable TV appearences. After spending some of the War as a POW his first movie role in 1946 was as "POW in top bunk" in "The Captive Heart") And probably the most prolific British War movie star Sir John Mills
Reply to
Les Pickstock
Ed Kemmer - fighter pilot shot down over Germany spent a year as a POW and was in on major escape. Played Buzz Corey on Space Patrol, lead roles in serveral budget sci-fi/horror moveies, and ended up on the soaps.
Reply to
Val Kraut
MC Hammer. Shaggy.
Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales
Toshiro Mifune James Garner Alain Delon
WmB
Reply to
WmB
Gert Fröbe (Auric Goldfinger in "Goldfinger" and Baron Bomburst in "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang") was a member of the Nazi Party in the Second World War. After the war he was revealed to have been active in hiding Jews from the Gestapo and in aiding their escape. Apparently on its release "Goldfinger" was initially banned in Israel owing to Frobe's connections with the Nazi Party. However the ban was lifted when a number of Israeli citizens came forward to explain his part in their survival.
Reply to
Enzo Matrix
"My favorite was Richard Todd (Dam Busters, The Longest Day). In "The Longest Day", he played the leader of the glider troops that captured the Orne River bridge. In real life, he was one of the paratroopers dropped onto that same position later in the day to reinforce that group."
At one point he gives himself an order.
"There is another actor who played the captain of the Prince of Wales in "Sink the Bismark". In real life, he was actually serving on the Prince
of Wales during the Bismark hunt and was severly injured when the bridge was hit."
Esmond Knight, blinded--he regained some sight afterwards.
Reply to
tomcervo
Favorite irony:
Two of the most memorable cowards in film were played by Eddie Albert (Attack) and Wayne Morris (Paths of Glory)--both of whom had distinguished themselves under fire in the Navy in WW2.
Reply to
tomcervo
While searching Clark Gable's miiltary history I came accross one of the most surprising personalities to see combat.
Dr. Ruth Westheimer (sp?) was a successful sniper with the Israeli army. Don't know the tme frame, but I'll keep searching.
BTW, in case anyone missed the post, Clark Gable flew five combat missions during his tour of duty in the UK in WWII.
Tom
Reply to
maiesm72
I hadn't included all the actors who had "fought" in the war. Audrey Hepburn acted as courier for World War II resistance fighters in Holland while Robert Clary (of "Hogan's Heros" fame) was arrested as a Jewish Parisian teenager and held in German concentration camps.
Reply to
Bill Zuk
wrote
Pre-1956 IIRC, perhaps 1946-1948.
KL
Reply to
Kurt Laughlin
Dennis Franz(Hill Street-NYPD Blue) served in Viet Nam.
Reply to
coulterj
And If I remember correctly, David Niven, who was in the Highland Light Infantry mentioned running into Jean Pierre Aumont in Normandy with a French Special Operations unit.
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
Time frame for Dr.Ruth was 1946-50 or thereabouts.
She was not a "successful" sniper as I had first heard. She was trained as a sniper and was very proficient. She was seriously wounded in a bombng of her barracks and didn't see combat after that.
Guess 'll have to get her book.
Strictly for the military informaton, of course. :-)
Tom
Reply to
maiesm72
Christopher Lee was in the RAF during WWII, and was especially involved in Intelligence...
Vandevere
Reply to
ven.dvere
VERY "involved" in Intelligence. There is an amusing anecdote in the extended DVD of "Lord Of The Rings: The Return of the King". Director Peter jackson tells; that when they were filming "Saruman's" death scene, he gave instructions to Lee, on what kind of sound to make, as "Wormtongue" (Brad Douriff) stabs him. Lee had to correct Jackson: "Peter - I am sorry, but that is *not* the sound a man makes, when he is being stabbed to death."
:o)
Reply to
Greg Heilers