Actors who served in the military

Ah, thank you. My mind remembers about 10% of this trivia, and of that

10%, I get half of it wrong.

:)

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

Honorable mention should also go to Hedy Lamarr, who invented a guidance system for torpedoes:

MJ Rudy

Dodging military obligation? Of course, you're referring to our current fearless leader; I can't think of another one right now... but where did Bush go? We only know bits and pieces of his Alabama ANG involvement. So what are you saying that Bush did? Sorry, I'm not following you here...

--- Tontoni

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Oh you know, in the Ronald Reagan-military effort discussion,I don't discredit his contribution, but having a camera shoot at you is far different than guns or bombs. I think Reagan did much more for this country than his 8 years in office!

But one who we haven't mentioned yet, since he wasn't in any movies (as a star anyway) was Glenn Miller. Glenn Miller was a USAAC officer; I think captain, but I may stand corrected if wrong. He was lost over the English Channel in a Nordyn Norseman. That was a precious loss.

--- Tontoni

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Au contraire. Mr Reagan was as flawed as any man. And Mr Reagan did not choose to avoid service. He enlisted. His assignment was based on his abilty and his infirmity.

Mr C simply lied and left. Had he carried his load he could have been in country in a safe position due to his contacts. He choose a different way.

And if you don't grasp that we were indeed at war with the main enemy for forty odd years and that men were dieing in proxy fights and various intelligence gathering operations than perhaps you aren't quite as studied as you think.

But hey, don't let these pesky details detract from your obvious worship of the only impeached president.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Stephen Tontoni wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.dca.giganews.com:

Oh please save it for your fan letter to Dan Rather. The man flew F-102s. What did you do?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

There are trolls among us- do not feed them- they will just keep coming back.

Reply to
Bill Zuk

FWIW I have heard three different takes on this, depending on whether the source was a fan or a detractor. 1. Rejected because he was married and had children 2. He had an old football injury and couldn't pass a physical 3. He wanted to volunteer but they wouldn't give him a commission.

Take your pick!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Kinda like telling the kids to keep it down in the reading room, ain't it?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

And where is your proof ????

Clinton flat out reneged on his obligation. Even if he had fulfilled his obligation, he would never have been assigned to something as complicated and demanding as flying a supersonic fighter.............

I just cant understand how you far to the left types fawn over scumbags like Clinton, and even worse Ted Kennedy.............

AM

Reply to
AM

I realize it is streching it to call him an actor, but Ed Mcmahon was a Marine Corps pilot. Also regarding the Tonight Show, I recall seeing Tony Randall talk about being a courier when he was new 2d Lt.

Reply to
coulterj

Hmm let me think; in 1971 I was a freshman in high school. Graduated in

1976. Regarding Bush's record, he did train to fly F-102's but when he was assigned to the Alabama ANG, there's no record of his actually reporting for duty. The only evidence that we was there at all was from some dental work done.

That Rather used faulty sources and resigned in disgrace doesn't make Bush's lack of war record any less true. This was talked about in my pinko-commie-liberal circles well before Rather's exodus.

Anyway, back to the topic that's off-topic. What was the actor's name who played Lebeau on Hogan's Heroes?

--- Tontoni

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Stephen Tontoni wrote in news:tontoni- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.dca.giganews.com:

Very nice. Simply IGNORE the fact that he flew for how many uyears out of Texas. Get a hardon for the last few months of service.

Do you know how ridiculous and agenda driven you sound.

And I ain't Bush's biggest fan either. I haven't the time or the space but there's plenty he does that I'm not fond of.

Though Thank God it's not Gore or Kerry up there!

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I first mentioned him last week, he's been named a few other times since then.....had you been paying actual attention until your political hot button was pushed you wouldn't have to ask.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

Andrew Johnson... impeached by the lower house of Congress and like Clinton acquitted by the upper house. The margin in Johnson's case was one vote.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

If you were a fat German Luftwaffe guard with a hankering for French cuisine, Robert Clary's Louis Lebeau could pry the information out of you in seconds. Schnell!

Not me though - I'll never spill the beans.

8-)D

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Thanks. As neither a fan nor a detractor, I was simply curious. The web sites I looked at were no help.

Gord> >

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

Yes, I'm *sure* that political considerations were never part of the equation. LOL.

And it made not one bit of difference. One pampered college boy more or less didn't win or lose any wars.

Maybe he had "different priorities"?

Declared when? Troops on the ground? No? OK, then - there was no declared war. And since travel to that country was *legal*, your sour grapes over the episode seem kind of petty.

You seemed to miss the pesky detail that I didn't vote for the guy. And you're factually incorrect about the impeachment.

But hey, hang your hat on it - I'm sure it matters a hill of beans to someone, somewhere.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist