The London Model Engineering Exhibition

This exhibition is on the weekend after next. Is it worth going to, or should one stick to Harrogate?
Expiring minds want to know
Mark Rand RTFM
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 03:45:28 +0000, Mark Rand

Mark
Being in the south I've only been to the Wembley/Ally Pally one. My understanding is that Donnington or Harrogate are better but that could be "the grass is always greener" syndrome.
I suppose the next question is which is the best day to go? Last time I went to Harrogate I picked Friday and it was shoulder to shoulder!
Regards
Steve

Steve Wrote:

I've found the last day is quieter with more room to breathe and th prices are lowest,but you run the small risk of something already bein sold that you wanted.
I went the last day to Donnington,bought a K5 vice for 70.00 reduce an extra 5.00 and I got an ER25 complete holder and collets set fo 130.00 saving about 20.00. Also picked up my castings from "Blackgates" saving me the postage.
Alla
-- Allan Waterfal ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Allan Waterfall's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&useridR67 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid2198
It's worth getting there early too, it tends to get full by midday (although Ally Pally should be bigger this year?)
Mart

Any info on times, place, dates, prices, how to get there?
(My local WHS does not seem to stock ME any more!)

(although
All details at this link.
http://www.meridienneexhibitions.co.uk/html/midlands_model_engineering_exh.html
Steve Larner

Or even this link http://www.meridienneexhibitions.co.uk/html/london_model_engineering_exhib.html

Went along at lunchtime today. Yup, bigger & better venue than before. Pretty crowded but given the proportion of retired people involved it might work out that a weekend is quieter than a weekday! It's the one place where at the age of 41 I feel youthful!
Good selection of trade stands, a few clubs, spent some cash. OK 'cos I was 20minutes down the hill from Alexandra Palace but I wouldn't make it a day out. However if you don't have a computer and the web it's probably your only chance to see the wider world of engineering!
Charles
http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk

It's the one place where at the age of 41 I feel youthful!
Depressing isn't it! I went to Wembley last year and saw only one guy who was about our age - he was bored and was apparently only there to stop his father from falling over! Are there no 'young' people interested in model engineering or mechanical engineering nowadays? Are we a dying breed?
Regards
Mark
I reckon it's probably a time thing. Those lucky retired people have lots of time to send in the workshop. Us 'youngsters' around 40 have to work for a living, but I still manage to find a few hours to make piles of swarf.
Cheers Mark

and if they start really young, then have to give it up to go to college or university!
Mark Rand wrote:

I went today (Friday) and reckon its the best London show for the past 5 years - lots of trade stands doing good business. It was far better than Sandown Park, and rather better than the Wembley ones. It was also a bit crowded.
--

Regards, Gary Wooding

For those of you that did not make it, I have added some pics to my website.
http://www.perfectphase.com/Mousse/Pages/CategorySelect.aspx?CatID
Enjoy.
Stephen.
P.S. It seems that the auto focus on my camera is playing up, so sorry for that the fact that a few are a bit blured.

website.
Having gone today (Sunday) I don't think that EIM's claim for it to be "the UK's leading" etc... holds true. Their own show at Donnington park has a better show of models. There was quite a good collection of trade stands, and plenty of room both for walking about, and for just plain sitting down! Whether that was due to few visitors on the Sunday, wasn't clear, but the show didn't seem to be too well supported by the public today. The show was far better than when at Wembley, but less variety than at Lee Valley, where there was the second hall for the boats and small trade stands. The food arrangements were much better than at both Lee Valley and Wembley, with room to sit and not feel guilty about occupying a "needed" seat - valuable for the older ones of us!