This is probably a daft question

I went to Alexandra Palace yesterday and bought a 6 inch Vertex rotary table. I want to fit the dividing plates but I can't get the handwheel
off. Can someone tell me if I'm missing something obvious or should I go ahead and cobble together some sort of puller to get some force on it?
Thanks

There are no stupid questions - only stupid answers :-)
You will get great support from the guys on this group. My table is not of the Vertex type, so can't help.
Steve
PH wrote:

Just needs a bit of brute force. We have the same problem when converting to CNC. http://home.lsces.co.uk/ModelEngineersDigitalWorkshop/wiki/index.php?page=RotaryTableConversionGuide should help
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

Any chance you could put all the images into a single directory so they can be downloaded and looked at offline?
Every single image in the 5 page multiple image gallery needs clicking to view in a larger format and every one carries exactly the same 'filename' as far as a users browser is concerned - namely large.jpg/medium.jpg etc depending on the viewing size selected
PH wrote:

Your post caused me to check mine 'cos I'd never taken it apart since I bought it. Removed the screw and the wheel moved out about 1/32" and then stuck! Two screwdrivers carefully placed between the graduated bits and a gentle pry did the job. It's just a good close fit.
Geoff
On 20 jan, 18:55, snipped-for-privacy@johnsonlb.plus.net(Geoffrey Johnson) wrote:

OK, it's off. I knocked up a puller from some bits of 6mm plate and some studding. Boy, was it tight, putting a serious bend in the bits of plate before giving way with a audible crack. I almost stopped and re-posted here 'Are you SURE there isn't a hidden pin or screw?'
Thanks.
PH wrote:

The key in my clone needed some major pressure to get it out so I suspect they are fitted and then the handle hammered home :(
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

Should just pull off after removing the obvious nut and washer. Have you tried loosening the nut a little and giving it a rap with a nylon hammer while pulling on the handle?
Have a look at
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t '097
where the same issue was discussed recently. The pictures of the instruction manual (which contains an exploded parts diagram) seem to be inaccessible just now but if you are still struggling I could scan mine.

Force. Take the nut (or is it a bolt?), and it's just keyed onto the shaft.
Mine is still lying in bits after I stripped a few teeth of the worm wheel. Milling a 12" circle of 1/2" steel on a 6" table wasn't my best ever idea.