Torx screws

Having just had to drill out a stubborn Torx screw that would not undo on an indexible tool holder I cannot find anyone that sells replacement screws. Zillions of people sell torx drivers to get the "bxxxxxs" in and out but no one seems to sell the screws.

Also trying to determine the screw size seems a mine field as the Torx is specified by a number that seems to have no relation to the thread.

Anyway the thread seems to be 3mm. No idea what torx number that relates to as the torx driver I was using that started the problem seems too small (T7), or maybe the head was knackered anyway.

Where to go to get spare screws?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall

3mm allen socket screws have a similar sized head and are readily obtainable.

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid

The reputable toolholder manufacturers sell the screws as spares.

Reply to
mark

RS (Radiospares) seem to describe them confusingly as "steel 6 lobe csk head screws" rather than Torx.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Talk to Jenny, at JB Cutting Tools in Sheffield, (She attends the better ME shows)01246 418110 (email snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) --

Chris Edwards

Reply to
Richard

Chronos do spare screws for "Glanz" tool. Part No. TXS01 (key TXK01) - these mic. up at

2.40 mm

Brian

Reply to
brian

On or around Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:44:41 +0100, "Alan Marshall" enlightened us thusly:

don't talk to me about torx screws... Bloody people make them out of too-soft material and you end up with a nice round hole.

Personally, I replace 'em with decent quality allen screws or hex-head bolts as appropriate. On vehicles these days I tend to favour A2 or A4 stainless as replacement bolts, some hope that they come undone again later.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

A2 or A4 stainless? Yes they'll certainly come undone, maybe not when intended and also completely without the use of tools.

Reply to
Mike

On or around Fri, 24 Aug 2007 12:27:43 +0100, Mike enlightened us thusly:

not on my vehicles, there's plenty of mud and other crud to make 'em stay put.

seriously, though, if fitting nuts I mostly either use nyloc or spring washers. Doesn't apply when putting them into blind holes, but you can still put spring washers on.

which raises an interesting point - it's common practice to put plain washers under spring washers... why?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Even presumably when they are in two pieces due to other failure mechanisms? Must be some unique super sticky loctite permanent retainer grade mud you have. Does it also raise the mechanical properties of A2 and A4 stainless to equal that of a grade 8 or greater fastener? :)

To give a warm feel in your pants. Spring washers have been proven to do exactly the opposite function to that intended ....unless the intended function was for the fastener to come loose under vibration conditions when they function *exactly* as intended.

Reply to
Mike

The thread you want is an M2.5 ! I needed some so I went to Sandvick the suppliers of the insets that I use and ordered some. No problem to them, the screws including some more inserts arrived the next day via DHL from the Phillipines.

Bob

Reply to
bob

On or around Fri, 24 Aug 2007 17:11:19 +0100, Mike enlightened us thusly:

If you look into it, tensile strength of A2-70 is a bit lower but most bolts on vehicles aren't 8.8 and indeed most are well over-specified for what they're doing.

I did find a few 12.9 in the front axle fittings on the LR 110 recently.

A4-80 are pretty similar spec to 8.8. Frankly, I rarely find properly-fitted and tightened bolts come loose.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks all for the advice.

Alan