U clamps

It's a long time since I went and bought a sturdy U clamp. You know, nice sturdy U bolt with a sliding thingy with the other U shape. I suppose you can still get them at local DIY shops, like B & Q. I'm after 2" (54mm?) and 2 3/8" (60mm). Larger one, I'm trying to squeeze a bit of 2 3/8" steam pipe with walls 3/16" thick.End slotted first of course.

Reply to
Richard

Try a commercial vehicle dealer for Volvo/Man/Scania, there aren't many cars with exhausts that big. It's an exhaust clamp you want by the sound of it.

Halfords used to carry larger sizes but they were pretty flimsy.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Try a local TV aerial erector - they use them to clamp to the poles they use

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , Richard writes

Could try your local fast-fit exhaust place. It worked for me!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

On 23/12/2003 "Richard" opined:-

Try a car exhaust company, or perhaps a commercial vehicle repairers. The ID size will not be much of a problem, but the wall thickness probably will be. I don't think a clamp of this type would make much of an impression with 3/16" wall thickness. Welding is the way to go..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

No, I need a clamp, because a scaffolding pole is going inside the steam pipe (I'm making an antenna mast) and I need to be able to rotate the scaffolding pole. When antenns is pointing in right direction, I'll tighten clamp. As I say, I will have to slot the end of the steam pipe about 2 or 3 inches.

But I wonder myself whether even two clamps will make much impression on the steam pipe. All I can do is give it a try I think. I think I'll manage to sqeeeze the pipe sufficiently though. Hopefully.

Reply to
Richard

Could you drill & tap the steam pipe at several points around the circumference and hold the scaf pole by tightening bolts against it -I would have thought 3/8 would be sufficient thickness to take about a 1/4 / M6 screw. For a really solid grip repeat the drilled holes about 6" further down the pipe (or however far the scaf pipe goes in).

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Slot the pipe and weld two big old nuts onto the sides of the split then put a nut and bolt thru for clamping. Far more robust than a skinny pressed steel 'U' clamp.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Ah, a real project ;-)

Is the turning force that great? Why not use a U bolt and disc / sleeve on the scaffold to stop the vertical movement and another U bolt on the steam pipe. The U bolts both being fastened to a plate. Neither the steam pipe or scaffold pipe need to be compressed.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Another thought would be to weld some nuts to the steam tube (having first drilled clearance holes) and use bolts to tighten up on the scaffold tube.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

Best idea yet I think. What I can do is drill and tap steam pipe and scew in bolt that will hit upon scaffolding inside pipe thus locking scaffold pole.

Yea, that seems a better idea than my original one. Donb't know why I did not think of this at the start! :c)

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Merry Christmas!

Rich.

Reply to