Viceroy surfacing gears problem

I have come to the first real "nasty" on my lathe. The surfacing gearing and engagement bracket are "Knackered"? Pics on

The Engagement assembly is shown on DSCF0099.JPG and DSCF0100.JPG The bearing bores to the surfacing shaft are shown on DSCF0101.JPG as you can see they are somewhat elliptical. A close up of the wheel is on DSCF0102.JPG Two things to do

1 replace worm and wheel. Where is the best source? 2 bore and bush the engagement assembly. The bushes will run on the surfacing drive bar (and be better lubricated in the future). Material for the bushes? Bronze, or meehanite to match the original cast iron? The surfacing drive bar is 5/8" dia

The pulley (previous post) is now bushed and fitted.

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Bush them. Personally I'd use bronze.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:53:21 +0000, Richard Edwards wrote: Ok I am replying to my own post but it keeps things tidy.

The surfacing is now "sorted" for the present.

I turned up a bar to 9/16ths to be a push fit in the smaller spindle bore. I bored out 2 12mm washers to 5/8". I passed a piece of 5/8 silver steel through the elliptical 5/8" bore slipping on the washers to locate on the outside and inside face. Clamped the 9/16" bar down flat on a surface plate with the 5/8" alongside it, clamped the two bars together with a correct spacer between to give the required 1.250" centres. Both bars are now true and parallel to each other. I then glued the washers to the yoke faces. (5/8" bar was sprayed with mould release first). Once cyanoacrylate had gone off I removed the 9/16" bar and fitted the yoke to the four jaw. I then set up by clocking on the 5/8" bar, at the yoke and about 6" away. Once trued and tightened I removed the bar and heated the washers and removed. Bored out to 3/4". Turned and tapped a mandrel in the 3 jaw. Fitted and turned two "Oilite" bushes to match bores produced. Tapped bushes into yoke with the 5/8" bar in position to give alignment. Lovely fit and no need to ream. Reassembled yoke with the worm back to front from original. Worn worm face now runs on unworn wheel tooth face and vice-versa. Reassembled to apron and it works a dream. will probably see me out but I will keep an eye on it. All in all "A good day"! Only bad news was I dropped my Arkansas stone and broke an inch off the end. I knew I should never have got rid of the carpet in the garage!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards