Warco 250V-F or what?

I am now 80 and, after twenty years without a workshop and Super 7 I am about to have a new shop. i shall not be able to spend a great deal of time at a time (!) as I am the carer for a disabled friend. Also because of my age I do not think I shall be building 7.1/4 locos any more. So I am thinking of a Warco 250V-F and their Major Milling/Drilling machine. Thus I can buy a part-finished 5" n.g. and finish it off. I would value replies and comments from members who have either of these machines especially as my last lathe was a Super 7 and I could afford a 2nd hand Super 7B. But I like the idea of a brand new machine and I am told that Asian machines are now very good. So what is it to be?

I live in West Sussex and would value a visit to talk to someone who has a 250V-F lathe.

With many thanks Richard.

Reply to
drawstop

Hi Richard, I have a Warco 280V-F that I am more than happy with, once the Chinese counterfeit motor control board has been replaced by a proper one from KB Electronics and the useless 4 way tool post replaced with a QC job from ArcEuroTrade. The machine itself is well built and accurate out of the box, incredible value for money. The changewheels are a bit of a PITA, and the gearbox takes a lot of running in before the selectors work smoothly, in fact mine still don't after 3 years, but I don't do much screwcutting anyway.

Round column mills like the Warco Major are pretty much out of favour these days, there are so many advantages to a dovetail column machine. Warco have several in their range you could look at, or the X3 or SX3 from ArcEuroTrade are a very popular choice.

Reply to
pcb1962

Many thanks for your helpful reply. i will now go and look seriously at the Warco and the mill bearing mind what you have said.

Regards Richard.

Reply to
drawstop