Just acquired...

Vols 1 & 2 of The Amateur Mechanic edited by Bernard E Jones, 1914 - very useful books (though they are somewhat dated and weigh about 2 kg each...)

Tell you how to do a lot of interesting things, and where electricity is concerned, how to make that from first principles.

There are processes in there which I shall certainly use, including: electroplating, bookbinding; bootmaking and repairing; leaded glasswork; soapmaking; repairing clock movements; machine for stoning raisins...

Lots more, and I haven't looked in Vol 2 yet.

Reply to
Macabre of Auchterloonie

No, being published pre WW1 I'm sure they weigh about 4.4 lbs not 2 kg

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Kipper making...?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Volume 2 includes details on doing your own Dentistry, just in case the "Machine for Stoning Raisins" misses one!

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Atcherly, more than 2.204 lbs each.

Reply to
Macabre of Auchterloonie

Don't need nobody to tell me 'ow to make kippers innit. [Just made some fine (not Loch Fine) dogfishcakes.]

Reply to
Macabre of Auchterloonie

That's good - and I have a stack of gold leaf waiting for a job.

Reply to
Macabre of Auchterloonie

Also bought a load of brass tube at 2/13th marked price, varying from (IIRC) .4mm up to 5/16ths.

I'll report back on what I do with some of the mini (but not capillary) sizes.

Reply to
Macabre of Auchterloonie

Was at Inveraray, Loch Fyne, last weekend. Feeling sick from antibiotics needed for the midge bites...

Kippers are still good, but the salmon is all farmed rubbish.

-- Peter F

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Well, farmed rubbish is better than no salmon at all. I prefer brown trout, anyway.

Reply to
Macabre of Auchterloonie