The Boy Mechanic

Project Gutenberg now has The Boy Mechanic on line.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Yikes, it's a 17 MB download, all in one piece!

Saved for a day when I don't feel like doing anything with my computer for a while!

Regards,

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Very nice! Thank you. Will have to browse the rest of the URL

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

On 20 Nov 2005 19:18:53 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Bob" quickly quoth:

I always do my Usenetting while downloading. Agent doesn't take much memory or CPU cycles so it's perfect. Try it sometime.

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Sin-free Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

For some reason the original post did not come to me. Would someone repost at least the link?

- - Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX

Bob wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

computer

Rick

I was able - just at 6 minutes. Not really ripping - Modem is locked on 100M but there is a link somewhere - likely limited at Gutenberg or between.

Rick wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I have found that there are advantages to having your son set up the (his too) DSL line :)

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Our local library had the "boy mechanic" when I was a kid - must have read it cover to cover a dozen times. Now I can read it again.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Thank you for the link Is there another interesting ebook about metalworking in the whole gutemberg project?

Reply to
Gil HASH

This is a large download! over 17M. If anyone would like this on a CD, I'll burn it and mail it to you (anywhere in the world) for $5.00. I take Paypal.

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

hobby pages are here:
Severe stupidity is self correcting, but mild stupidity is rampant in the land.

-Ron Thompson

Reply to
Ron Thompson

Before selling the work of others, you should read the terms of "Project Gutenberg".

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

OR read the first part of the file, permission is granted.

Reply to
Richard

... for redistribution without charge. Yes.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

He's not selling the "work of others" - just the download and duplication service. That is the work of him and his computer.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Would someone buy an empty CD (or one with binary noise on it) for $5? No. The value of the CD is from the work of others. It's just stealing of and pissing at the _free_ work of others.

Shame! EOD

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

If it were not public domain material, I wouldn't have made the offer. This is from the first page of the file:

Project Gutenberg's The Boy Mechanic: Volume 1, by Popular Mechanics This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included with this eBook or online at

Title: The Boy Mechanic: Volume 1

700 Things For Boys To Do Author: Popular Mechanics Release Date: June 18, 2004 [EBook #12655] Language: English Character set encoding: ISO-8859-1 *** START OF THIS PROJECT GUTENBERG EBOOK THE BOY MECHANIC: VOLUME 1 *** Produced by Don Kostuch

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

hobby pages are here:
Severe stupidity is self correcting, but mild stupidity is rampant in the land.

-Ron Thompson

Reply to
Ron Thompson

Do yourself and the contributors to Project Gutenberg the favour to read this:

Especialy: "If you charge money for the copies you distribute, you have to pay royalties to Project Gutenberg."

Before you continue to spread huge piles of shit!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

If you only have a slow dialup and no CD burner, would you pay someone $5 to download and burn a CD for you??? Not too many years ago many people were paying a WHOLE LOT more than that (like 4 times that) just to get a CD burned - when THEY provided the data. I'd say $5 was fair reproduction cost. Content is worth a lot more than that.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Recovery of cost is NOT any violation of their license agreement.

Time involved and depreciation of the equipment used are legitimate costs. (And the $5 charge would be considered very reasonable for the service.) Charging for the costs is in no way selling the product. He would be charging for a service, not a product.

As per: those that transcribe from records to CD and charge for it, they're selling a service, not a product. It's pretty common, profitable, AND LEGAL.

Rich

Reply to
Richard