Was Quiet here - now just quiet for Virgin clients

I see from Google groups (hawk - spit etc) that i can post to this group but not see recent posts. Last post visible to me was Re: Bunt now owes from Quilljar at 10.43 on 18th march.

The other half dozen NGs I frequent are all behaving normally via the same news service from VM

I have tried unsuscribing from URME and re-subscribing but the last visible posting remains the same.

Does this align with anyone elses experience? Can anyone suggest what to do about it? Seems peculiar to me that i can still use other usenet groups through VM without problems.

My newsreader is integrated with my email and browser using Sea-Monkey (successor to Netscape) but I can't see how that can be relevant.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Bob, you will of course not see this till the problem is resolved, but it is not an uncommon problem. Messages have to migrate between news servers and sometimes it seems some form of comms error between servers can stop this happening for a particular group. I have seen it a few times with nildram recently, but only for a few hours at a time.

Reply to
Cliff Ray

That seems to be the main issue, ISP's with a direct newsgroup feed get new posts almost instantaneously.

BT have a good feed (for my purposes anyway) but Google varies enormously, depending on the group and hierarchy it is located in.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

If anyone needs a new (but cheap) Astraweb have a useful offer. They have a 120GB for $25 dollar offer and if you only intend to read groups rather than download binaries, that $25 will last quite a few years !!

Reply to
Cliff Ray

Bob, which server are you using? I'm running news.virginmedia.com and can see posts right up to a few minutes ago, for some reason the text.news servers seem to be less reliable, at least they were when I last tried. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow