Way OT. Vinyl to PC

The time has come to convert some of the "no longer available" vinyl onto digital format. Having a decent turntable and "old style" set up I've no desire to buy
a USB turntable. The option then appears to be a preamp but part of me says why do I need a pre-amp since I've got an older one of those anyway? Most of the people selling "solutions" in this market package it up with Audacity software which is free anyway so I suspect people are selling snake oil - but I might just be tight!
What's the pragmatic solution?
Charles

Well what I do is connect the turntable to an amplifier, plug a cable into the headphone socket and plug the other end into the computer mike input.
Audacity is easy to use once you get the hang of it and you can remove ticks and other noise if you wish. You can then put a whole lot of records on to a cd.
Donald

I've done this in the past using the 'tape output' from the stereo amp and a long cable to the next room where it plugged into the 'aux' or 'line' input to the computer sound card. No doubt the purists would frown at the long phono cable but for the old records I was transferring the quality was fine. I have my doubts about what the quality of turntable & pickup on the USB units can be at the price they're being offered.

I used a program called 'clean', probably out of date now, but it looks to me as though current versions of the likes of Nero might cover it.
I need to do some more soon anyway (as well as setting up for 'er indoors to put loads of VHS tapes onto DVD)
Tim
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 10:22:53 +0000, Tim L

There's a program out there somewhere that is able to figure out the name of the track, artist etc. from analyzing the audio waveform, but I can't remember what it is called. Anyone come across that?
Regards, Tony
enlightened us thusly:

same here. turntable into amp, ideally, your amp will have a line out, but if not use the headphone socket and adjust volume as appropriate to get a sensible signal.
In my case, the PC line out is connect to the amp's line in, as the CD player that's in the same stack as the amp has an issue with its suspension, so I use the CDDVD drive on the computer as a CD player.
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 08:53:15 +0000, Charles P

Just a cable, although you'll probably lose the stereo effect. I've got an old amp and seperate turntable, and bought a 2 into1 cable, plugged into L & R signal-out on the amp, and then the other end went to to the mic input on the PC.
Used Audacity to record and edit out the scratches and long intro gaps.
Pete

Done it too, it took me months ;-) Old stereo amp line out, to line in Soundcard. Simple. Amp has to have Phono in for RIAA-correction. Used CoolEditPro to get rid of thumbs and crackling. Great program. It also "normalises" volume, etc. Dirk
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 10:43:48 +0100, "Dirk PG1D"

I usually find that a knife & fork is very effective for getting rid of crackling. Good for the roast potatoes too ;-)
Regards, Tony

Assuming the music you're talking about isn't so esoteric that no one has ever produced digital versions before why not just download it using Emule or Bittorrent?
--
Dave Baker

Thanks chaps. I knew my scepticism would be shared! I'll try the cable method.
And Dave, esoteric, yes. Some in mono, yes. Some of sentimental value, yes.
Charles

Then my second post should answer the How-to part. I never had any vinyl esoteric enough for there not to be CDs and therefore mp3s made available also and thus never felt the need to 'rip' my own actual LPs. I can't really see the point of ending up with a crackly ripped version of a vinyl track that needs a lot of software editing when someone has already been kind enough to make a clean digital version off the master tapes for me anyway. Obviously if you don't have that option then 2 quid for a cable and you're in business.
You might however be surprised at the rare stuff you can already find online in mp3 format. If you want to post a couple of examples of your collection I'll see if I can find them already ripped.
--
Dave Baker

OK dave, let's try this.
Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, Get Out (And Let Me Cry)
or
Igor Markevitch conducting L'Orchestre et les choreurs de la radiofusion Francais performing the Polovtsian Dances from Borodin's Prince Igor. A Columbia recording and one of the best.
I'm nothing if not broadminded!
Charles

Not a problem. Not even really esoteric.

Can't find that exact recording. Plenty of other stuff by him though such as Pierre et le Loup with the Orchestre de Paris.
I can also find plenty of other versions of the Polovtsian Dances such as by the Sofia National Chorus.
--
Dave Baker

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 12:56:21 +0000, Charles P

Or how about
Schubert quintet in C played by the Quintetto Boccherini.
I have a *very* worn LP which used to belong to my uncle, passed to my mother when he died & was her favourite record of all time (with the possible exception of Sergeant Pepper <BG>) I did put it onto a CD years ago when my mother was still alive, but as I said the LP is knackered :-(
I haven't searched recently, but looked in vain in the past for reissues or secondhand LPs.
OK, that particular choice of recording might be regarded as esoteric ;-)
Tim

Talking of esoteric what about the TT sound stories ?
Ralph Brians dropping 5 gears for Kepple Gate still gives me a woody after all these years. In fact thinking about it that's the only thing that does ............................
JS.
Forget that, not quite what you what you are looking for, sorry.

Right band, wrong tune <G>
Tim

An Emule search for "Quintetto Boccherini" give 50 results.
Something like this: Luigi Boccherini - Quintetto VI in C major G418- Variazioni sulla ritirata notturna di Madrid.mp3 ?
AC

That ain't Schubert.
Again, right band, wrong tune.
Thanks anyway