Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

Sony to discontinue 3.5 inch floppy disk April 24, 11:34 PMJapan Headlines ExaminerJoshua Williams
Sony announced on April 23rd that they will be discontinuing sales of
the classic 3.5 inch floppy disk in Japan in 2011. The news marks a major end to a nearly three decade history of the disk type that the company helped to pioneer.
According to Sony, they introduced the 3.5 inch floppy disk size to the world in 1981, and began sales within Japan in 1983. Sony had shipped approximately 47 million disks within the country at its peak around the year 2000, but that number had fallen to around 8.5 million by 2009, Sankei News reported.
http://www.examiner.com/x-16352-Japan-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m4d24-Sony-to-discontinue-35-inch-floppy-disk-in-Japan
Cheers Don...
--
Don McKenzie

Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Hardly "death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk" to announce that one vendor will stop making them. Even 5.25" DSDD media and some 8" formats are still in production, as well as 3" flippies.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
larwe wrote:

Hi Lewin,
Considering Sony produced the first 3.5" floppies, and currently hold 70% of the world market, and many other manufacturers have pulled the plug, I would say death is very close to describing what the usage will be in 2011.
Some people still go to drive-in cinemas, use Betamax video format, rotary dial phones, and Edison wax cylinders, so these aren't dead either.
Only thing that is really dead, are people that fall off the perch. :-)
Cheers Don...
--
Don McKenzie

Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
---
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jon wrote:

Just a thought. How many kids 15 or under would know what a rotary dial is, or ever used one?
Then, how many kids 15 or under, have ever written, or read a file to/from a 3.5" floppy?.
Not a lot I would think. I can't remember when I last used a floppy, must be many years. Would have been to prop up a short leg on a table. :-)
Footnote ** I laugh when the little ones of today, have to look at the back of your camera, after you take a picture. What did we do before they put the screen there?
Cheers Don...
--
Don McKenzie

Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Most people waited 3 months to get their film processed before they found out he photo was no good! Digital camera's have at least seen a rise in people thinking about what they have shot. Unfortunately camera phones have seen a fall in the quality of many of those "photo's".
MrT.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yeah, unless it was steam, that one of Lara was quite blurry.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Don McKenzie wrote:

I have stashed away 3-1/2" disks and also 5-1/4" floppies. In production the lifetime of machines is often many decades and there are numerous machines that will not be re-programmable via any other means.

Until recently we paid an extra tax via the phone bill to finance the Spanish-American war which AFAIK ended in 1898 ...

We learned how to take good photographs, in my case I took classes. Because the cost of a 24 or 36 roll of 35mm film (or 12 exposures in the 6cm by 6cm days) was rather substantial and you could not waste any of it. So we spent some time getting the lighting right, making sure everything else was just right, and so on. Often there was no chance to re-take a shot because you would not know until several days later whether the result was ok or not.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I'm sure I don't need to start hoarding them the way I hoard DSDD 5.25" and SSSD soft-sectored 8" media though :)

You've been peeking in my windows again! Except that I don't have a landline. But anyway - I think the only item you have on that list that isn't in active production is the drive-in theater, so you're right, they're not dead.
Quiz: Which music format showed the greater percentage sales growth in 2009; was it (a) Compact Disk - Digital Audio, or (b) stereo vinyl 33 1/3rpm LP?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

(c) Digital music downloads. (d) Music DVD's
Vinyl rose from a *VERY* small base, and CD's fell due to digital downloads and DVD's.
Once again proving that unqualified statistics prove nothing at all!
MrT.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I explicitly did not include digital downloads for obvious reasons. I consider all physical media formats equally obsolete, so obviously it doesn't make sense to measure buggy whip sales against gasoline sales.
BTW, I refuse to believe the music DVD one - I've never even SEEN a music DVD. It's like SACD; it's an acronym, there were/are devices that can play them, but they're a mythical unicorn format.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yes you appeared to be making an invalid point.

How silly, even digital downloads must end up on some "physical media format", even if it's a hard drive. And IF you consider vinyl to be analogous to buggy whips, why the silly quiz in the first place?

Now that's *really* silly. I have about a hundred, and there are *many* thousands currently available.
MrT.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No, you just seem to be unwilling to think about what I was saying.

That's even more ridiculous. You do not buy digital downloads as a sector on your hard drive that is received and glued onto the platter, you buy the information download. You can delete your personal copy and redownload it later. In some cases you never actually download it in the sense of "for storage locally", you just stream it from an online library on demand.
By your argument, we should be considering the purchase of CD wallets as part of the CD sales process. And perhaps the purchase of whatever media were used to master the album originally.

LOL. I could say the same thing about my collection of 78rpm records. SACD and audio DVD are primarily an attempt by the music industry to get rid of CDs because CDs have no DRM.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

And that was what exactly??? That vinyl sales have increased from next to nothing to slightly more than nothing. So what? Compared to their sales 30 years ago many would claim they are still effectively dead.

What, that you've never seen one, or they don't exist?

No argument there. However I said music DVD's, not DVDA or SACD.
MrT.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

WOW, still 8.5 million sales in 2009 from one company alone! So far from dead then.
MrT.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mr.T wrote:

Let's assume a retail price of 50c a pop. And that's a lot because that is what I paid in the early 90's for top quality disks. This would be $4.25 million in gross revenue. In the world of big corporations that generates a long-stretched yawn, followed by the drop of the axe.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Don McKenzie wrote:

Someone forgot to tell microsoft.
The only way to load device drivers (drive interfaces, SCSI drivers etc) when installing windows is via the drive at A:. And that's your only option.
Short of creating a magical alternate boot install CD/DVD for every new model of box we get. Not looking forward to it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Apr 27, 10:56am, John Tserkezis

Actually, rumour has it, this is not the case in the two latest revisions of their OS. I say rumour as I have not ever tried installing one of these latest creations -- the one Windows Vista machine I used had it preloaded, and I've never touched Windows 7.
But yes, you make a valid point ... and I shall make a note to stock up on 3.5" floppy disks while they're easily available, as some of the ones I have at home are slowly decaying with age.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
---
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Stuart Longland wrote:

No idea about Vista, but have installed Win7 several times so far, and yes, your only option is F6 to look at drive A:.

Indeed. I've never had much luck with the longevity of 3.5" disks. They simply do not last. And, owning to the fact we don't use them too often, (we get boxs with newfanged interfaces when we're least expecting it) we grab the first disk that's been kicking around in cabinet here. After we go through several bad ones, we throw them out to find there are none left.
As I said, we can create a custom boot disk, this is very doable, but we could have that box up and running in several minutes verses lots more.
Contrary to popular belief we DO have more important things to do than screw around with installs that don't like to play with the other children.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.