OT-Sound systems

Have you guys ever heard of a company called Usher (www.usheraudio.com)? They supposly makes high end audio equipments and several of their speakers
(the S520, compass series and stuff) have nothing but rave reviews on magazines like sterotimes (or something). The prices of the products in Taiwan is a bargain compared to the prices in the US (for example the S520 costs about 350 US but in Taiwan it costs only 4000NT or around 120 dollars US) so anyone used their stuff have anything to say?
says...

If you like the way they sound, then they are great. If you don't, then they are junk. Never buy speakers you have not listened to personally.
Speakers are way too personal to ask anyone for input unless it is in relation to quality (of the device, not the output).
--
Tweak

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:29:41 -0400, Tweak

One thing I might add (after spending a lot on high end speakers for many years) is that once you get them home, you seldom notice those subtle nuances that you hear in the store when doing A-B comparisons. It's a good thing to remember if you want to keep costs down.
Tweak wrote:

Very true. But there is one exception of a product that is so far below par on quality of any type that it has to be mentioned here so that future audio consumers never ever make the mistake of actually purchasing....
Bose.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
says...

Heh heh. "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose".
--
Tweak

Bose? all midrange mudd? mmmmm could be!

Wow, a topic on rec model rockets that i'm an expert on. Before and during my last 11 years as a Tripoli member (I fly at Black Rock and LUNAR) I have bought and built numerous hi-end speakers. I most recently "blew up" a pair of B&W P-6 speakers and rebuilt them (mid cones and crossovers) from JM Labs/focal cones. Usher ? Yes a newer and well reviewed company with some great products. I'm sure if you buy a pair you will love them. BUT consider, build a pair of loudspeakers yourself with Usher cones. Google "Parts Express" or any of a number of worldwide loudspeaker suppliers and you will get about 10 times the value for the $$ and effort you put into it. As far as building your own cabinets, just buy pre-made, stained or veneried. Then,buy a good solid state amp and pair that with a tube pre-amp some (like Dared) even come with a remote. Nowq you will have a giant killer of a system, that even stereo salsmane from your local high end store won't be able to touch for $5000.00 bucks
On 23 Sep 2005 13:56:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@junglevision.com wrote:

I'm curious why you recommend a tube pre-amp and a solid-state (power) amp; I'd expect the exact opposite to be optimal.
I've always been under the impression that the putative advantage that tubes have over transistors is that they don't "hard clip" when over-driven. In other words, if you drive them to the point where the output voltage approaches the supply voltage, the output waveform doesn't have a sharp transition to a square wave; instead, the gain falls off as you approach the supply voltage, resulting in a rounded transition, and a much less harsh-sounding form of distortion.
For a pre-amp, where you're dealing in voltages of around one volt peak-to-peak, and low currents due to the high-impedance inputs to the power amp, it's dead easy to design a solid-state amp with plenty of "headroom" to make sure that you never come close to over-driving the amp. Where you run into issues is in the power amp, where you need higher voltages and higher currents, due to the higher output power levels and the low-impedance speakers.
- Rick "Electronics geek" Dickinson
--
Rick Dickinson - snipped-for-privacy@notesguy.com
National Association of Rocketry (NAR) # 73975 Level 2