Way OT. Vinyl to PC

wrote:

Yeah maybe.
But that is one example of 50. I don't know anything about this artist or the work, I just searched on what seemed like the key words. If you look, you may well find what you are looking for. I wasn't trying to find your tunes for you, just point you in a possibly successful direction.
AC

I appreciate that, thankyou. There doesn't *seem* to me to be anything in that direction matching what I was after.
Cheers Tim

Like any vinyl HiFi system you are never going to hear anything the stylus doesn't pick up in the first place. The key to quality is the turntable and starting off with a high quality vinyl one is a damn sight better option than a crappy USB device which might make the process easier but lose all the HiFi.
Then just connect turntable to your existing hifi amp in the normal way and Tape Recorder Out from the amp to Line In on the sound card. For a quid or two you can get a special cable to convert the twin phono amp connection to the single 3.5mm soundcard one.
http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/search/3.5mm+Stereo+Plug+to+2+Phono+Plugs
In fact that's how I use my pc to play mp3 music and videos on the hard disk through my HiFi anyway. Line Out on the sound card goes to Aux In on the NAD 3020 and then off to the Kef Celeste IVs. The same cable swapped over to the other connections would let me digitally record from the cassette deck or the Rega Planar.
There is an opinion that an external soundcard avoids more stray 'system' noise than an internal one. I can't comment on that or the software available for which I'm sure you'll be spoiled for choice.
--
Dave Baker

Anyone want a Mk I Pink triangle turntable with Helius Scorpio arm and Glanze MC10 moving coil cartridge? Probably needs a new stylus though. Available for picking up for the price of nothing. It's taking up space in the workshop and is unlikely to get used now.
On topic note. The two old "darlings" that made them turned them out on an old round head Colchester Triumph...
Mark Rand RTFM

Waves hand in the air. My system is curently lacking in the turntable dept (direct drive NEC thing) Ill drop you an email Dave
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 10:13:05 -0800 (PST), dave sanderson

Back in the late 70s early 80s, I had an Amstrad TP12D (don't laugh..) turntable. Slim belt drive thing with a tripoidal turntable, on a black ash base, with a small circular rocker switch in the corner.
Very good looking thing it was, and worked well too. I hear they fetch a lot of money these days.
Peter
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:32:12 +0000, Peter Neill

What's a 'Tripoidal' turntable?
I keep tripping over the air pump for a 'Groovac' vacuum record cleaner, must have cost someone a penny or two (not me, I got it with a s/h turntable). That's also on offer. Probably have the arm somewhere, can't promise.
I'm hanging on to the turntable for a bit longer, though.
Tim
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:58:59 +0000, Tim L

The turntable platter had 3 sculpted legs, or arms more correctly I suppose, and was diecast aluminium. Tripoidal was how they described it back then, sounded and looked very high-tech.
Peter