West Wilts society of model engineers

I'd appreciate any reports of difficulties of use of the website (under new mnagemnet)
Nothing is being offered for sale, just an ornery SME.
www.wwsme.org.uk

Link doesn`t work for me.
Mark.
Magnum wrote:

The site seems to work for me (Browser is SeaMonkey 2.0.4)
on the links page, this one does not work
# Model Engineering Pages. Credit to Graham Howe.
HTH
Bob
On Tue, 11 May 2010 21:50:19 +0100, Bob Minchin

Ditto (with Firefox).
Regards, Tony

Doesn`t work for me on two different computers.Both running Firefox but different releases.
Mark.

Almost everything works here on Firefox 3.6.3, there are couple of exceptions with IE8 :
The "warning" exclamation icon (http://www.homepages.mcb.net/howe/MISC02.ICO ) doesn't appear in IE8 - it's fine in FF.
The "Great Bulkington Railway Extravaganza" doesn't display the picture unless I allow it to open a MS Office 2010 component (ActiveX control), page seems to display OK in FF.

I don't know what that is, but probably because I.m on IE8! However, it will be some aspect of the Howe website not our site.

I had that problem as well. It is because I was supplied with the original as a .DOC file which I converted to html by saving from Word. It produced a huge file and I don't (yet) know enough about html to hack out a manual version of it, although I am learning rapidly. It seemed to me that one ought to be able to produce the same thing with only about a page of html, but not too sure about the fancy fonts. Thanks, anyway.

------------------------------------------------------------------ Link doesn`t work for me. Mark. --------------------------------------------------------------- The site seems to work for me (Browser is SeaMonkey 2.0.4) on the links page, this one does not work # Model Engineering Pages. Credit to Graham Howe. HTH Bob -------------------------------------------------------- Ditto (with Firefox). Regards, Tony ----------------------------------------------------------------- Doesn`t work for me on two different computers.Both running Firefox but different releases. Mark. ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank-you gents, and all others who took the time to have a look. (The visitor counter leapt by a 100).
The problem was the no-longer-needed, "/index.html" on the URL, which I have now removed.
If anybody has any links that they want to, or think should be, advertised, then say so.
Westbury Leisure Park where we are is the former Sports and Social Club of the LaFarge Social club. We don't have a postcode, but it is directly opposite the cement works on the other side of the railway. (Doesn't yet show up in maps.google.co.uk, which always seems to be about a year behind)
Magnum wrote:

It would be worth fixing the Cheltenham SME link. Their current one bypasses all the pop-up crap ;)
www.cheltsme.org.uk is their direct link - sort off since they are hosted on pipex
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

Thank-you. Corrected. I only inherited this obligation yesterday, so there is much that I had taken on spec without checking. Mea culpa.

Thank-you to those who have assisted.
I've noticed now that I've been playing around with the galleries that "up one level" gets you to a sub-directory, and that the background colours are not consistent. Also you don't get the slideshow until one of the photos is selected, so it's on to the mysteries of Javascript in addition to HTML <Watch this space>
(I appreciate the help and comments, but please do not feel obliged)

Frame sets are bad news for so many reasons. Just Google something like "why are framesets are bad" to find out. Therefore, I'm afraid your site is built on bad foundations to start with.
With that in mind, the site needs a complete re-design.
Rule of thumb: never ever use framesets.
AC
AC wrote:

Without getting into a holy war, frames are not necessarily bad.

No - rule of thumb, be aware of the potential problems with frames.
The worst three are: the user can't grab a URL for a particular part of a site and send it to someone else - frames don't display well in low resolution browsers in eg phones (but then neither do most other pages using eg tables which are not designed wth them in mind) - and some firewall/browser combinations, mostly in big businesses/government with clueless nazi admins, don't display them.
Yes frames have disadvantages - but then so do the alternative layout methods: cheaper providers often don't support SSIs, and you need a nerd to use them; tables are ugly and it's hard to get the look you want; and CSS/divs lead to slower page loading (slower than loading a single frame anyway), browser support is not universal, bandwidth is bigger, nerdier to use. To name but a few.
For this site I'd say the two best options are frames and CSS/divs - and while I'd probably slightly prefer CSS in order to allow grabbing URLs, I don't see much else wrong with using frames here.
-- Peter Fairbrother
Peter Fairbrother wrote:

I have recently been getting to grips with CSS, and it seem to me definitely to be the modern way.
--
Charles Lamont

Having had a baptism of fire this week with HTML, Javascript and now XHTML, I intend to bring up to XHTML standard and to CSS the whole site.

I don't agree with you there.
All that the code that I inherited lacks in that respect is the W3C DTD declaration for "XHTML 1.0 Frameset"