Workshop floor - Wood or concrete

There were serious glue de-gassing problems with chipboard (fibreboard) in the past. They should have learnt from that... But did you know all PG plasterboard in your workshop is slightly radioactive?

PG1D/PA-11Ø12

ISTR it is the only manufacturing process that concentrates natural radioactivity unintentionally.

Russell

Reply to
Russell

Is the growth of tobacco a manufacturing process? 'Cos that concentrates radioactivity too.

(again, it's from using phosphate, in this case as fertiliser)

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Most of the ground that all our shops are on, is radioactive too.

Worse in areas that are on bedrock or near it.

Been that way forever....

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Brill, does this meant we can machine with the lights out ??

Reply to
John Stevenson

SteveYes, the floor chips when you drop something heavy. I reckon a good

c>

-- DR_

----------------------------------------------------------------------- DR_G's Profile:

this thread:

DR_G

I saw a survey a few months back relating geographic longevity distribution to natural radioactivity distribution, and it definately seemed to imply that slightly higher than normal levels of background radiation, far from being bad, actually increase life expectancy. I'm not talking 'glow in the dark' Chernobyl levels, but the slight increase that you get over granite for instance.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Can be more than slight - some of the granite buildings in Aberdeen University, for example, have higher background radiation levels than would be permitted in the "normal" (non-hazardous) areas of nuclear installations.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Deepcar and member of Sheffield & District SMEE Didn't see post yesterday - am full of lurg! :-) Steve

Reply to
Steve

This is the type of wood floor I want in my shop.

are only 2.5" thick but back when shop floors like this were popular then were often 6", 8" or more and soaked in creosote.

If you buy a floor like this and have it installed it can be expensive but if you are willing to that the time to collect waste end cuts and cut them to length yourself it is about as cheap as you can get. For a home shop almost any kind of wood should be ok.

Reply to
andre_54005

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Saw this type of floor in many antique machinist books and life in a huge navy toolroom years ago. They tore it out completely after a sailor broke his ankle bone when a stub got loose and tipped over. Dirk

Reply to
PG1D/PA-11Ø12

We had wood block floors in the press shops at my old works. They have the advantage that they will soak up minor oil spills. After a hundred years of soaking up minor oil spills they become extremely dangerous when wet (the person concerned has an elbow that will never work properly again even with the pins holding the bits of bone together).

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Is that a 12" matrix of joists or screwd directly to the concrete at 12" intevals. If it is joists what size? If it is all on concrete 2x2" I assume is all that i required.

Baldric.

Reply to
baldric

painted

The OSB was laid directly onto the concrete, then plugged & screwed on a 12" matrix. Then painted with 'garage floor paint' NB OSB has two distinctly different surfaces. On one side there is a finely ridged effect which I laid upwards, the other side is smoother, looking like giant squashed cornflakes !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks, that sounds reasonably easy and benificial.

Baldric.

Reply to
baldric

They also used to use wood in this way for streets. They were apparently were very slippy after rain especially when coated with manure etc.

Some survive in good condition under tarmac (seen during roadworks) taking modern vehicles.

Russell

Reply to
Russell